Author Topic: Red Box vs black Box  (Read 18419 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Re: Red Box vs black Box
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 02:59:32 pm »
most of the guys at our track are running a 3.58 gear.  Some still run a 3.73.  We run in 4th gear and the track has longer straighaways with tight turns.  This is why I think I get a better drive off the turn than the other guys as their RPM's have dropped off too much.  My blackbox does not have a vaccum advance so I am hitting the limiter around 9600.  With the red box of 10500 I would have more RPM range.  I guess what I am asking is am I loosing rolling speed in the corner with the shorter gear or and I doing it right by getting on the gas quicker.  When we have our test and tune day I will be able to see what my lap times are with the red box installed as it just arrived.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 07:48:57 pm »
Hey RB,

So you're going for the red box eh?!  Good for you.  I'm running the 3.73 gear, in fifth gear.  I've got the black box ignition.  Not sure if with the vacuum or not.  I'll check.   Be interesting to see how mine runs compared to yours.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 08:43:53 pm »
In 5th?  I think that is what Paul is running too but I just don't know how he gets the drive off coming out of the corner in 5th.  I thought he was in 4th.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 12:19:50 am »
I'm not sure what gear Todd is using, and what gear he is in, but I had no problems keeping up to him around and out of the corners.

Too funny, I'm behind cleaning up the body damage on my car because even though I don't own a snow blower, I've had 4 of them in my garage over the last two weeks.  Friends and relatives realize I've got a nice warm, well equipped garage, and all of a sudden they need that blower working...

It's a good thing that Sandi's '48 Mercury pickup is outside the garage now and blocking half the garage door, or I'd have a lineup looking to do work on their cars too!

Mike

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 11:12:39 am »
Well I learnt at the end of the year that you just stay behind Todd until he spins out and then you are good :-).  I think he is running a 3.58 as well.  Tim, and Frank are running 3.58 with red box.  I am just not convinced that a 3.58 is going to be that much better.  Cap City has tight turns so getting good acceleration off the turns seems to have me running right with Todd as well so I think if I get more straight away speed with the red box ignition I should be good.  Maybe I will have to try 5th gear :-)

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 10:14:56 pm »

RB,

Yep.  Paul is using the same gears and in fifth.  He swears by it, and he's had enough wins to know.  I guess the big thing for you and I is to learn how far we can push it into the corner.  Once I get corner three figured out, I'll stand a chance competing for real!  Should be interesting seeing how your red box compares to the black box.  Be brave.  Try that fifth gear! ::)

As for Todd...  He's been running older tires.  He may well come out faster if he gets new rubber on that car of his.

Mike

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 11:43:48 am »
So Mike,

Remember in the post about new car vs old car where you talked about our local dealer.  All of my new parts are still sitting in his garage.  He said he wanted to settle up before the holidays.  He was going to let me know the final tally and bring the parts to me.

I am anxios to get the red box in.  Has anyone done a black box to red box conversion?  I would think there are some wire changes involved.

I am looking forward to trying the 3.58 in 5th

Offline thunder938

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 11:50:36 am »
Last year I removed a black vac. adv. box and put all red stuff.  Very nice to install the red box only has a power and ground wire to the car the rest are to the coils and pick up.  I cut a ton of wiring out when I did the switch.  Did the car run better? I dont know I put a sealed motor in that was set up for the red box, so I set up the car.  I never drove the car with black box on it. I took out a stock motor and saved it as a spare.

Dave
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 11:54:23 am »
I still run the black box, although I know most people are switching to red. I guess my only question is...Would you rather have something built by Yamaha that was designed for the engine, or something built by 600 as an aftermarket upgrade. I dont know. Being a service manager for the years I was, I saw my share of problems with non factory electrical products.

Just my 2 cents...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 12:58:32 pm »
So Mike,

Remember in the post about new car vs old car where you talked about our local dealer.  All of my new parts are still sitting in his garage.  He said he wanted to settle up before the holidays.  He was going to let me know the final tally and bring the parts to me.
/quote]

So he never got in touch with you yet?  I would have thought that he'd want to settle up with you quickly so he wouldn't have to carry the cost for long. 

Let me know how the prices turned out.  I can only go on hearsay since I haven't as yet ordered parts from him.  Some have complained that he never seems to know the price before hand.  It'd make me a little nervous ordering parts without having some kind of a clue about prices.  Especially on a large order.  Did he have pricing for you before he went down to get them?

Thanks,
Mike