LEGENDS > Engine Care & Tuning

Red Box vs black Box

(1/5) > >>

RickyBobby:
I run a black box ignition system that came with my car.  Everywhere I look there are different combinations of red box and black box, however every report I see on the 1200 motor is that is starts loosing power after 9500 rpm.  My question is if you are at a fine line of needing more straighline bandwidth would you go up a gear or put in a red box?

Tom Cole:
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php/topic,118.0.html

Hey RB, that link takes you to a thread where I got a little education on the different boxes.   Maybe that will help you decide.

Generally, I play with gear and setup until I get the fastest lap time.  If you notice that the cars at your track with more top end speed can't make the pass before the next entry, then acceleration will probably be more important.

knoxracing:
There are two black box systems and one red box.
1)Old style black box with vacuum module mounted next to it, max 10,300(aprox).
2)Newer style black box 9900 ropm(approx)
3)Red box system 10,300-10,500 (approx)

The 9900 system is a rookie system, there are situations you need the extra 300-500 rpm to bury the car in the corner, yes the band peaks at about 8500-9000 rpm, but you have to carry the momentum further, and if you gear the car to run out of gear 9300 rpm at the end of the straight you will lose too much bottom end (off the corner),  generally off the corner is where you gain momentum to pass. You really need to use all you can get, especially on short tracks.

RickyBobby:
The black box I have is an older original system and the reve limiter is at 9500 RPM.  I get a great jump on the field coming out of the turns but I hit the limiter before I dive into the corner.  Some of the guys have said to go to a bigger gear as I will get more rolling speed in the corner as well but my Father in Law who build drag cars for many years said keep the same gear as I do get that great jump on the field but I need more RPM's for starightline speed.

JGRacing:
Is the vacuum box a vacuum ignition advance, or a feature that is not use but just identifies the box? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version