Author Topic: Clip support  (Read 19098 times)

knoxracing

Re: Clip support
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 03:28:08 pm »
Harmonics or vibration is one aspect the other is to help absorb a little in the twisting or flexing.  There are millions of  various uses involving rubber mounts, pads, feet etc.  with much higher torque and vibration issues and I see them mounted to rubber or some type of  material. Apparently there are values to these concepts.  Again I am just passing info along that i am privy to as a dealer, I am not an engineer and putting reason to USLC decisions is not my place.

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 07:45:59 am »
I would be for any improvements to help with engine issues and safety but I am unsure about this update. I personally never had a clip twist from jacking it up. I think if those bars were to help with the twisting of the front clip they would have to be longer. I am not saying it won't work but with how USLC has done with their previous upgrades I will let this one play out awhile before I jump on the bandwagon.

TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

knoxracing

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 08:43:24 am »
1)I promise you, its a proven fact that there is substantial twist in the front clip area, under acceleration and deceleration.
2)Yes when the car is lifted by the bumper the clip does move.
3)The intent is to add some support, but they do NOT want to increase the possibility of structural damage to the cage area.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 09:00:26 am »
I would be for any improvements to help with engine issues and safety but I am unsure about this update. I personally never had a clip twist from jacking it up. I think if those bars were to help with the twisting of the front clip they would have to be longer. I am not saying it won't work but with how USLC has done with their previous upgrades I will let this one play out awhile before I jump on the bandwagon.

It's not amandatory change/upgrade, so we will see how it goes throughout the season.
I wasn't  so sure about them either, but URC, who builds my clips, is all for it, and he knows more than me when it comes to that stuff.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:24:30 pm »
Yeah, I think my plan is for now to just leave the clips alone because I know they are straight. When something happens then I will dicuss with our chassis guys and if they want to add them, then I'll go for it.

Is this 2012 Season here yet? LOL
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 10:44:46 am »
Welcome back Gimpster
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 10:02:18 am »
This has nothing to do with breaking motor mount or engine cases. ANY down type bar would put the cage area inline for serious impact.

igotmylegend

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 02:55:58 pm »
If there going to put supports on the front clips, it need to be a bar that comes up from the front of the clip have a nice 90 deg bend and go back to the firewall, then they could also use it for the shocks too.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 10:12:24 pm »
You guys are getting way to carried away with these braces.  For frontal impact all this will do is move your rail bend point out to the end of these braces, right behind the shock towers.  For those of you that have never set your car on jack stands under the main frame and then stepped on the front bumper you should give it a try, it will shock you.  These braces will stiffen the rear portion of the front clip and should make the car a little more responsive since it should make the suspension work more. 

I would gladly take more rigidity in the fronts of these cars even on dirt.  With that said, I think 75% of Legend racers wouldn't be able to tell the difference with these braces.  I use higher quality tube for my front clips so they are already a bit stiffer than USLC so I definitely welcome more strength.  The bottom line is, its a long winter and don't worry to much  about this.

After reading your posts Gimp, you really need to visit your physics books again.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 05:53:27 am »
Well said Jeff, And I agree with you too......
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 12:09:52 pm »
All I can say is time will tell. I for one am not going to weld these on just yet.I do feel that Jeff has some very good points. I think that these will for sure tighten a car up but how much is the big question. I also think that if your using the chassis for part of your suspension set-up then everyone would be different. I have always wanted to see some kind of support for the front end and never really though of the way that they came up with. I always thought that you could do a hoop from the top of the clip up to the A post on the cage. I do realize that the door opening poses some problems but could be worked around. All I can say is time will tell.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline svtmatt

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 09:48:26 am »
If you have the rubber engine mounts, the yamaha ones, put them in and take the aluminum ones out.

Dennis, are you saying that it is now legal to run the standard rubber mounts that come with the engine?  I thought those were illegal to use?
Matt Todd
Michgan Legends #8

knoxracing

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 11:44:21 am »
Yes the Yamaha style rubber mounts are legal.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 04:42:35 pm »
are those the mounts we used to run that became illegal?

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 06:39:19 pm »
If the rubber mounts are legal, why doesn't USLC sell them and what is the part #? If they are I definitely want to switch to them.

Thanks,
Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

anything