Author Topic: Oil Level  (Read 11351 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Oil Level
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 11:22:32 pm »
You're right Rick.
The oil level light is on all the time in my cars, thats why the only gauge I run is oil pressure.
The light is meaningless when you go fast and turn left in my opinion, as it will almost always be on
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 02:29:54 pm »
you are right Rick but what you guys have to remember is that some us have a outlet to the oil cooler on the lefts side of the motor (fittings off of the pan). If you let that cavatate you can get in trouble. I use the set-up that is on Kevin Yeatts site and Mike G also. With this set up you can not let your light come on. In my opinion that if you are letting the light come on your asking for trouble. Dirt you don't pull the oil away as you do on asphalt because of G's. As stated earlier there is as many opinion on this as their is on what brand of oil to run.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 03:24:55 pm »
So don't you have to overfill in those set-ups to keep the light off?
I just see a problem waiting to happen. just my opinion, never ran a dual cooler set-up, so I have no experience with them, just think you would need alot more oil.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 03:33:03 pm »
The light is meaningless when you go fast and turn left in my opinion, as it will almost always be on

You're correct, that is why the is no oil lights in any of my cars.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »
Haha i knew an oil question would bring up a few posts.

Randy where does your oil sit when cold and not running? Im happy to go with what the team of the year does.

Honestly I do not know, I never look at it with the engine off.

The level of the oil when the engine is turned off is going to be different based on the coolers you have and how they are plumb. For instance, the coolers I use on my Legends cars fully drain back into the crank case when not running, while the layout for the roadsters only allows the cooler to drain about halfway down.

Yamaha recommend the level of oil be between the two lines when turned off & cold. The oil cooler on the bike drains back into the crankcase when not running so that adds to the sump level.

I have found that if you keep the oil below the clutch basket when running, you have less aeration, the oil temps stay down, and you will not push a lot of oil through the breather system. Plus, that means the sump is going to be overfull when the engine is turned off and the oil has drained back.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.