Author Topic: Bump steer gauges  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Bump steer gauges
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:49:04 am »
What ones does everyone use?  I've seen the longacre gauges that you drill for the hubs so they could fit, does anyone use these?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

knoxracing

Re: Bump steer gauges
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:44:43 am »
Depends on what you are doing, like anything else you can spend a much as you want. Most top set up shops set the arms so they are level and call it a day.( Hint- there bump steer is way off.) I use a gauge made by Irvin Smith in N.C..  I suggest if this is the gauge you buy, call them and tell them what you are doing, you wont be drilling anything!

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:45:31 am »
Alright, thanks, do they set them level or level with the lower a arms?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:46:09 am »
I did this for the first time this season, and after looking at a lot of gauges, I used a laser level to do it without dropping a few hundred on a gauge.  I clamped the laser level onto the brake rotor, with the laser shining out to the front, and had it project onto a board with a piece of paper that was about 2-3 feet in front of the car.  With the jack I raised and lowered the spindle in increments of 1" and marked on the paper where the laser was shining. After your done, you can remove the paper, and measure how far the dots move in and out, thus your bump in and out.  The thing I like about this method, is that by projecting out in front of the car 2-3 feet, you are magnifying the bump in or out, making it easy to see slight differences as you move the spindle up and down.  To get the true bump you just have to do a little math.

This seemed to give true numbers and the best part that this was free to do, I can spend the money on other things.  Hopefully the above makes sense, if not I can take a picture or draw a sketch.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:57:04 pm »
any one ever use the deco gauge that speedway sells it has a bottle jack  on it so the jack is not in your way. not to bad only $170. does any one know if its any good?

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:09:38 pm »
I have to give huge cudo's to slack 11.  I love home made gauges.  I made my own scale pad leverlers with roll offs and longacre has a ride height gauge that is a laser for $400 and I did the same at home for around $100.

anything