Author Topic: sanding AR tires  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Schmitt20

sanding AR tires
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:04:20 am »
Does anybody know the max sand paper grit you can use on the AR's?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: sanding AR tires
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:33:44 am »
Whatever will not leave a visible line/groove, which would be considered illegal.
I clean them with a wire brush, works good
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:57:13 pm »
ok thanks

Offline TG01

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:49:23 pm »
Dont forget to use tetracloraetheline concentrate mixed with coconut oil extract on them, then use the wire brush finished off with some tire foam to shine them up??????
Nah
Just screwin with ya...

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 02:34:51 pm »
HAHA ill try it for nationals ;D

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:39:10 am »
I use 80 or 100 grit on a belt sander to level them out when they start to get that feathered/ramp look.  Doesn't really leave any marks, at least a lot less than are already on them from the track.  I only had to do mine once around mid season.  I've been happy with the wear on these tires.  I ran the same ones all season except I put a new RR on for 4 or 5 races then cut it and went back to the other which won me a race with 19 races on it.  I really thought they wouldn't last long (based on my experience prior to legends cars), and I was pretty vocal about that.  I was totally wrong.  Any added cost due to tire wear is definitely offset by the parts savings due to the fact there are less wrecks and spins are easier to avoid.  Also, I've heard that brake fluid works better because you can always claim it was accidentally spilled on them :o  Wouldn't work here though as our tech guy has been wearing his durometer out on these things to make sure we are all close, since he says the are all soft by the rule book anyway.

anything