Author Topic: what to look for  (Read 8758 times)

Offline fasass47

what to look for
« on: October 27, 2007, 10:01:23 am »
I have been looking at legends cars for awhile and now I am ready to buy one, a used one. I need help in what I should be looking for or what I should be asking before buying. I know used is used but dont wanta make a major mistake. Thank for all the info so far  john

Offline thunder938

Re: what to look for
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 03:57:15 pm »
Hello.  You will have a blast racing one of these cars.  AS for finding one make sure that the frame is Y2K  legal.  If you find a car call or E-mail Lisa Will at a 600 racing with the VIN / FRAME number and she will tell you the history.  The tag is just inside the left door at the bottem near the floor on the frame.  Also make sure that the car has up to date shocks and Alu. spindles for the new rules next year.  THe main thing that cost the most is the motor.  Sealed vs open, ask 10 people get 10 anwsers.  I picked up a used car and it had a stock 1200. I put in a sealed with all the good stuff and broke the crank in less than 10 races.  So, I just got a new open motor so my fellow racers and I can work on it.  That is some thing to think about if you do not live near 600 with the new engine building rules.  But, to get started as long as the motor as the least amount of races you can find would be good. 

People will tell you that "the car is fast" well the truth is they are all fast and the driver / set up / and tires is the biggest part of going fast in these cars.   And find a car that the owner is quitting, not just selling a spare car.  Get as many parts as you can with the deal.  I picked up my car with a ton of parts gears, springs, spare body, tires, and trailer.  The owner was going ARCA racing.

Dave Northern Ohio Legends 41

Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 02:23:19 am »
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline fasass47

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 08:30:17 am »
Thanks , now I have heard that term sealed and unseal what is all that about

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 02:36:38 am »
 Basically;  Sealed Engines must go to  600 Racing for rebuilds, mods, etc...  Unsealed Engines can be worked on by you or your favorite engine builder.
 Read over the engine rules for a better idea of what you can and can not do.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

xtime

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 11:41:40 am »
What part of the country are you from?? Way up here in Montana, we have some cars that are for sale...very good cars. You probably won't steal them, but then again, you wil be getting very competitive cars and cars you won't have to thrash on to get race ready. My car is ready to go, we just got back from Legend Nationals in Las Vegas.  You are invited to call me at 406-261-2443 or e-mail to xtime@ronan.net and we can discuss it all.  Also I am not against helping get the thing delivered to you.
Thanks,
Tim Corbett

Offline fasass47

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 07:24:52 pm »
Thanks for all the info, thats what I like about this sport so far everyone I have talked to has been more then willing to help out in one way or another. Thanks again John