Author Topic: NEW CLUTCH  (Read 15184 times)

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
NEW CLUTCH
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:29 am »
Received Email from INEX  NEW 4DISC CLUTCH is available for the Bando.  This is a great up date from the Noram.  The test I have run  --No over heating  at low speed causion laps,in the pits,  and off tract excursions.  The New Clutch work very good on starts and restarts.  For those tracks that have a gear rule (13 tooth drive gear) the disc cluth only goes to 14 teeth, I'm sure the tracks can look at a chart and get a comparable ratio for their rules.  Thanks to GE Chapman and the guys at INEX for making this happen.  PS--You only buy one clutch, the gears  are sold seppretly  and are easy to change and replace  Tim

Offline bando56

Re: NEW CLUTCH
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:58:23 am »
 OK, where will be getting them from , 600 racing only?

Offline nosted

• Have fun!Go fast! TURN LEFT!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:44:23 am »
Yes you get them from inex. And they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. They are like a 300-500 buck clutch. But the will last you 1-2 full seasons of fantastic preformance. So it might not be worth the competitive edge depending on where you run. Where I ran last year it would be worth it. A 10 -13 car feild every week top 5 all within 2-3 secconds of each other (close for bandos) But there was always a fight for the lead. Me and the points winner (by only 3 points) never hit each other the whole season. And I lost races on restarts (at least 3) because of an old clutch. So if it's competitive put the money into it.

Offline sfreitas20

• Freitas Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 11:51:50 pm »
It looks like the new clutches won't be a cost savings after all.  Ours only lasted 4 races before it was worn beyond the wear limits in the paperwork and now after the 5th race has a air gap of .079 which is .014 beyond the wear limit. 

The one on our other car started out right around .040 after the break in process, but is now already at .050 after just three races.  I will measure it again after each of the next two races, but it looks like 4 - 5 races is probably going to be it for the life cycle of the discs.

At a cost of about $90 per rebuild for the discs, this is going to be much more expensive and time consuming than the old clutches.
Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports

Offline CNC Motorsports

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:05:46 pm »
Anyone have anymore feed back on these clutches?  How are they holding up?  Its hard justifying buying a $400 clutch if its worn out in 4 races.. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  Chad

Offline sfreitas20

• Freitas Racing
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:57:47 am »
We still run the new clutch and have had better wear after spending a many hours on the phone with Bully talking about the proper care and maintenance (INEX doesn't know much about them and doesn't seem to like to return calls on the topic).  As long as you keep the air gap at the lower end of the range it will hold up well, but it won't get you through a whole season as advertised.  At this point we spent $1500 on three of them for this season (two cars and a spare because you always need a spare) and a few hundred more dollars on thicker spacers, gears and parts to rebuild them so we can keep up with the maintenance on them.  I am quite sure that was probably double, triple or even more than what using the old clutch would have cost us.  At our track, two of the fastest cars out there still use the old clutches and don't show any performance issues with it.  I couldn't in good conscience tell people they really should spend the money on the new clutch.

I hope that helps.
Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports

Offline CNC Motorsports

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:06:33 am »
Yes, that does help me quite a bit! I understand about the maintnance part, we run this same style clutch in our karts. They actually last quite a while with karts but your talking 325lbs versus 750lbs. I'm probably going to buy both style clutches and play around with both! I have also been told that the new clutches come sealed? Any truth to this? If thats the case it will make it really hard to service and maintane it!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:18 am »
I've not heard that the clutch is sealed. Do not belive that to be true. Nothing in the rulebook that it is sealed.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline CNC Motorsports

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:09:55 pm »
Thanks Steve! I didn't see that either, so i didn't know if its a new thing.

anything