Author Topic: valve adjusting  (Read 31541 times)

Offline Okiesnake

Re: valve adjusting
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »
It is often helpful to hear something explained more than one way.

Let’s say you measure a particular exhaust valve lash clearance to be .12 mm.  You decide that you want it to be .20 mm. Therefore it is off by .08 mm (20-12).
You remove the existing shim and see that it has 273 printed on the underside. 273 means that it is 2.73 mm thick. You need a shim that is .08 mm thinner.
2.73 mm – .08 mm = 2.65 mm.  You need to replace the old 273 shim with a 265 shim.
Remember, when you install the new shim to put the “265” on the bottom so that the cam does not wear off the “265”.  If you forget, you will be mad at yourself next year when you can’t read the number!

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:11 pm »
Do you adjust valve lash with the engine hot or cold?

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 02:02:44 pm »
cold

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 05:19:03 am »
There is a rather good instructional video on youtube that showed exactly how to set vlave lash. I can't find it for the life of me, maybe someone a little more search savy then I am can find it. I think I seen it as a link on a website first.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but it's out there some where.

An area for these types of videos here in the forum would do us noobies a great bit of good.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 05:27:25 am »
Here is the video. Senior members please advise if this is being done right. I acknowledge I know zero about these cars and I'm trying to learn.

Video is made by RRC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 05:03:05 am »
ok, I hope I didn't mess something up here.

Why is it so important to pull the plugs when checking valve lash?

I did not see the hinderance of leaving them in, like I said I hope I didnt mess something up.