Author Topic: differences in weight for front grils....  (Read 11969 times)

Offline slack11

differences in weight for front grils....
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:23:04 am »
Already thinking about next year, need to shave some weight.  I have a 37 Ford sedan body with the font end, but was reading that you are able to change front ends on these.  I know my grill is really heavy, and serves no purpose other than looks.  Are other grills lighter?   From pics the sedan Chevy front grill looks like it may be lighter.  Any know the weight differences on these?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: differences in weight for front grils....
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:34:51 am »
How much are you willing to pay to save 1 or 2 pounds in non-rotating mass?
You would need to buy a grill, fenders, and hood. $300 or so. I dont see enough benefit for the price tag.
Just my 2 cents
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline slack11

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:19:38 am »
Are the differences that small?   Just by looking I was assuming it was much more

Offline justaoke

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:25:57 pm »
We run a chevy front. The only thing I can say and have noticed is the chevy grill and fenders are more open to airflow.  I also agree that it is not worth the expense.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:44:19 pm »
I run the 37 Chevy front on both my cars because it was convenient. Coupe is a 34, Sedan is a 37, and I wrecked the coupe, so I just put the Chevy front end on. Now I only need spares for one style of fender and grill.
The 34 looks way better, but the 37 definately flows more air without the big fiberglass surround
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:59:58 pm »
Nate, I can shave an easy 10-12 pounds off rotating weight for you. I have a set of the new lightweight chrome bassetts in stock if you are interested. These wheels are 13 lbs each, vs 15-17 for the older wheels, depending on which wheel you have. Let me know if you are interested and I can bring them up Saturday.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »
I still have a peice of yellow fender sticking in the front of my car ... hmmmm wounder where that came from ? lol
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:06:41 pm »
The new Bassetts are 13 lb vs the 18 lb ones.
Problem is, they need an INEX sticker to be legal for the 2012 rule book.
I can sell them to you all day long for my normal prices, but to be legal, you need to pay $18 more per wheel from USLCi.
It will save you 20 pounds though
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline thunder938

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 02:33:46 pm »
You dont need to buy fenders, We used to have coupe that had 37 Ford fenders with the chevy grill.  The hood would need to be changed..
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »
I was just going by the rule book with the fenders/hood/grill all needing to be from the same model.
Probably not something you would get busted for in tech, but you never know.  ::)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:17:22 pm »
The total weight difference between fenders, hoods, and grilles is very minimal. Run what you would like to run for other reasons than weight, try to save weight elsewhere but saving weight does cost money. Most of the time you are redoing things on the car instead of just removing it. I know a lot of people choose to run the '37 Chevy front end because it has more air flow and the grille is further away from the bumper. The '34 front ends and the '37 Ford are closer to the bumper so sometimes a bent front bumper cost you more than just a bumper.

How much weight are you looking to cut?
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline slack11

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:20:34 am »
I’m around 1350 right now, the car alone is around 1150, but my left is around 50.5%.  Really want to get that up to the 52% they allow.  I do run the trap wheels, and just by replacing those over the winter  that’ll take off around 20 lbs (20 lbs of rotating mass has got to be huge…) , and I may start playing with my fuel load which should gain me around another 7 lbs.  Other than that it may just be little things here and there.  I don’t have any gauges other than the digital gear indicator, but I use a Lajoie containment seat that does add some weight.   Trying to figure out if I drop let’s say 30 lbs, that would put me at 1320, should I then add weight on the left to get to 52% or just stay as light as possible?  Any thoughts on this are more than appreciated…..

Also, what are some other things to start to look at to reduce weight?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:04 am »
I dont thing you will find much in thr front end, as for that rule..no one cares.  Most 1934 Ford coupes at the nats will have and have bad 37 chevy grills
Dave

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 04:46:36 pm »
Thunder,  What you are talking about is a COMPLETE front end. This is OK.

What you can't do, is a 37 grill with 34 fenders. Or vice versa. The rule states the entire front end must be the same.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »
I’m around 1350 right now, the car alone is around 1150, but my left is around 50.5%.  Really want to get that up to the 52% they allow.  I do run the trap wheels, and just by replacing those over the winter  that’ll take off around 20 lbs (20 lbs of rotating mass has got to be huge…) , and I may start playing with my fuel load which should gain me around another 7 lbs.  Other than that it may just be little things here and there.  I don’t have any gauges other than the digital gear indicator, but I use a Lajoie containment seat that does add some weight.   Trying to figure out if I drop let’s say 30 lbs, that would put me at 1320, should I then add weight on the left to get to 52% or just stay as light as possible?  Any thoughts on this are more than appreciated…..

Also, what are some other things to start to look at to reduce weight?

Just add lead, lead, and more lead.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

anything