Author Topic: Need some oiling help..  (Read 6469 times)

Offline slack11

Need some oiling help..
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:30:47 pm »
Just bought a used motor, and the guy ran the hank scott remote oil filter system on it (the new one, that mounts to the side of the block)  this new motor has the lower psi oil valve shimmed and ties the two lines together into a single oil cooler, the way hank scott recommends.  The motor that is currently in my car does not have the low psi shimmed, therefore it has a two cooler setup, one small one for the low psi and a larger one for the back of the motor (this is Dave's old car, it is in a lot of old posts about this stuff.) .  My question is,  can I run the two cooler setup with the low psi valve shimmed?  Can I just run the pan  lines to the smaller cooler, and the back of the motor to the larger cooler?  Is there a benefit to running it the way hank has it, tying the two lines together into one cooler?   Just don't want to have to buy more stuff like the 3 port filter adapter etc. if there is no benefit to switching, and just staying with the two coolers.  Never had to think/ mess around with this stuff, just thought someone may be able to give me some direction.

Also, just looked at this tonight, this motor has a blue plate on the back of the motor, is this just the plate that the red "cap" with the two outlets sits on?  Again, never dealt with this, and thought someone could give me a quick answer.  I'll attach a pic.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Need some oiling help..
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:43:31 pm »
Yes, you can run the 2 cooler set-up.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:04:37 am »
From your picture, the blue plate you're referring to looks like a 'Texas Style' spin-on oil filter adapter.  I ran the Texas Style on my engine until switching over to the Hank Scott system recently.   I highly recommend the Hank Scott system with the puck adapter(in place of the oil filter) as it greatly improved my oil pressure and lowered my oil temps.

Hope this helps!  :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline thunder938

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:39:34 pm »
Just remove the plate from your motor in the car when you put the "new one" in and hook up the lines the same way you have them NOW.  If you change to a Hank system then your old motor can not be used..IF some thing happens to the newer one..
Dave

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:49 am »
LOL, oh boy!  As stated what you have is a texas style adapter, some like them, I hate them. The system Hank offers is realy good but it is pricey.  I use three port filter adapters on ALL of our cars, NONE of the pumps are shimmed. We have NO motor issues due to pressure problems, temps are good and we have NO problems. You can put the system together yourself for quite a bit less money. I think I remember this thread, isnt there a Y or T combining these lines to make a three port system? Unless you want to spend some money and change it all, I would do as you have asked and run the pan to the cooler, change the pucks on back and run those lines to your second cooler.  I recomend the Fluidyne cooler with the 3 port system, not the use of two small coolers, so I can see where you may not want to spend the coin for a cooler, adapter, 3 port mount and lines.

Offline slack11

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:48 am »
Thanks, that where I was headed, just wanted to hear some opinions of others. I have had zero problems with oil temp/ press. with the system that I/ Dave had put on the car, so I think I'll leave well enough alone, and spend some money on some other things.....

Thanks, anyone in need of a texas Style adapter???

Offline slack11

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34:28 am »
Just got to thinking, if someone uses this "Texas Style adapter" and just spins on a oil filter at the back of the engine, how do they hook up the oil cooler?  Do they just run lines out from the pan and nothing from the high pressure at the back of the engine? 

Is is just a out and in at the pan?  That doesn't seem like a lot of cooling to me.....

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »
With my Texas style spin on adapter, cooler oil lines were just run in and out of cooler.  Pressure from engine in at bottom of cooler and cooler outlet at top back to non-pressure side of oil pan.   That is how they were at time of purchase of car.  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x