Author Topic: Head gasket leaks  (Read 5563 times)

Offline oldracer11

Head gasket leaks
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:45:20 pm »
I am brand new to Legend cars and after two races have had to re-torque the head 3  or 4 times to get the head gasket to re-seal. The motor is a 1250 sealed motor and only has 2 races on a "re-build". The guy the car came from says this is not uncommon on these cars so just re-torque it and go on. Another guy tells me the head studs get fatigued and will stretch when the engine gets hot, so just replace the head studs and go on. It does seal up again when I re-torque the head at 28 IP but leaks again after the engine gets hot again.
I just want to know if this is common and if anyone has had a similar problem?
I am road racing the car so it does get allot of miles in a weekend of racing.
Thanks for any information!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Head gasket leaks
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:27:25 pm »
I don't know for sure, but USLC probably uses Cometic headgaskets. Have seen this problem before with them, thats why we use Yamaha ones.
Head studs can stretch, thats  no lie.
It's possiblythe head gasket, or it may be the head itself not being decked, but if it ends up being the head studs, I stock the APE Heavy Duty studs and can get them out to you right away.

Jim
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline oldracer11

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:48:43 pm »
Thanks Jim,
I will probably get our last race out of the way and then see about changing the studs and maybe getting the head off and checking it and making sure I get the yamaha gasket in there with the H D head studs. I just can't believe that if the head is flat with a good head gasket and the heavy duty studs that it could be pretty normal for it start leaking every time it is run hard.  I will contact you when I get ready to get started.
Thank you for your input,
Brian 

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:04:30 pm »
 Don't torque them too many times.... Be aware that the threads in the upper crankcase half can strip (where the cylinder/head stud screws into). I have had to Heli Coil many upper crankcase halves over the years. When a new stud will not hold, this is the issue.

~ Gimpster ~

anything