Author Topic: Engines and rebuilds  (Read 8483 times)

Offline DPR

Engines and rebuilds
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:06:06 pm »
 I am new to Bandos and have found alot of great info on this site already.

My question is with these sealed motors how do you know if you just have a dud. I bought the car and had the engine redone at 600 in Nov last year. We run a 3/8th mile medium banked track and no matter what I do I can not gain speed in the car. I have played with the jets the valves the clutch and the vacum to the fuel pump and still am losing a second to the top cars. We actually roll into the corners and gain a little on the other cars but simply fall flat on corner exit and end of chute.

I have done the brake caliper and driver checks and neither is the issue. The brakes and bearings are rolling free and the driver is not lifting or riding the brake(installed a light just to be sure)

We have a gear rule so that is not the issue either.

Just getting very frustrated because I do not know if I am missing something or if  I am dealing with a motor that is just flat. I pulled a leak down check and compression check and called 600 and was told these #s were fine also.

Had decided to bite the bullet and buy a new engine but this week one of the other teams put in thier new motor and lost a second.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Engines and rebuilds
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:19:48 am »
Do you run a restrictor plate?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline DPR

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:45:05 am »
Steve,

Yes we run the red restrictor plate. I have also made sure the order is corect regarding intake to resrictor to spacer to carb. I also checked to make sure that the spacer has been opened in the middle.

As I said I am running out of ideas and hate the idea of spending money on another engine to find out it is something I missed or that it is just the luck of the draw if you get a good engine or a dud.

We run bandits with outlaws and we are one of two teams that have not run bandos before so we are behind on the learning curve but a full second off the top cars and 4/10th off the 3rd thru 10th is just to much for my sons line to make up. Even in the draft we are getting pulled down the chutes.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dennis

Offline Plumcrazy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:38:16 pm »
So, without being condescending in any way...  We are new to Bandos this year as well. And ther ARE some great folks on this forum.  There are too many questions to ask to provide guidance.  To be fair, we have not won a race yet but have gotten faster every week at our track.  Same config.  3/8's mile and fairly high bank, red plate, gear rule and right side tire pressure rule.  I think we are 3rd or 4th in points and that is after finishing 8th and 6th in our first 2 races.  We have run very well lately and it is only a matter of time. 

We struggled with car setup, some of the finer tuning that is necessary on a track like this, motor issues (our stuff is used) and, most importantly, driver.  Our biggest pickup, by far, has been with the racing line and understanding the draft.

So, that said, I would be happy to help you out.  PM me and I will give you my contact info.  No promises, but I will share what we have learned.  We have had a lot of help both here and at the track.  I will help if I can.

Adam

Offline romans81racing

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 03:08:23 pm »
the issue is not in the engine.  it is in set-up.  Find someone that runs fast that is willing to help you set-up your car.  Pay them for it.  It is worth every penny.  With restrictor plate racing momenteum is a huge deal.   Camber, caster, ride heights, cross weight and tow all have to be right.  Car weight has to be right.  Are your tires camber cut?   Put a quick kid in your car and ask what he thinks. 

Offline DPR

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:34 am »
Been there done that. I have no question now the engine is a mutt as I bowwored a motor during  last nights race from a racer who wrecked and was 4/10th faster out of the box without a single chassis adjustment.

Thanks for all the advise on the site though.