Author Topic: Clutch springs  (Read 8385 times)

Offline wh2

• 2010 Summer Shootout - Outlaw division
Clutch springs
« on: July 20, 2011, 11:49:25 pm »
I run in the outlaw division, I was wondering if anyone had insight on ; how often should springs in clutch be changed and what color is recommended?  Also how about clutch pads be changed, I do service it after each run but I do not change any parts. I am running a 13/63 gear if that matters. Thanks for your help..

Thanks, Chase Heath/Wayne Heath (dad)

Offline Plumcrazy

Re: Clutch springs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:59:44 am »
I am pretty new to the sport but I have had folks at our track tell me they rarely change springs.  The color depends on the track configuration.  We use red ones as our track is pretty big and the rpm range is narrow.  The different colors engage at different rpms.  So, for example a road course where you end up really slow or even a really tight track where your rpm really drops might benefit from lighter springs (sorry I can't remember which colors do what!). We run red ones at our track.  It's pretty big and banked so it's like Daytona for us.

So I think the spring depends on the track.  Too stiff and the clutch will slip a bunch in the corners building heat you don't need.  Too light and you can really bog the motor down.

600 can give you the spring ratings.  Tell them what rack it is or what the rpm range is and they should be able to help you out.

Clutch pads is just about wear.  There is a minimum thickness and you want to look for cracks.  See cracks and I'd replace them.

Hope that helps.

Adam

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Clutch springs
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:23:50 pm »
If you look at the spring colors, and RPM that they are supposed to engage in, You will see that they don't have anything to do with top end. They deal with how quickly or slowly the clutch engages. Yes, on and off the gas pedal will affect speed overall. Perhaps Ed will shed better light on that. Check out Bandostuff. com. He has some very good information on the site.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything