Author Topic: A welders opinion  (Read 13687 times)

Hoopyboy

Re: A welders opinion
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 10:48:42 pm »
 Heck, if you were around here I would let ya use my welder and I have the materials for the frame minus the wheels.

~ Gimp ~

Hoopyboy

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 10:50:56 pm »
Whew... 198, ooo miles on the Taho. I haven't came close to busting 100k on my old 92 Ford 7.3 IDI that we pull the trailer with.. Makes me feel like I have a NEW truck !!

~ Gimp ~

Original motor and trans too.
I bet yours still has than new car smell Gimp...oh wait, I forgot, Its a big ol stinky diesel  ;D

Really liked the truck to pull this gooseneck, until the price of diesel hit the roof !
~ G ~

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 06:35:31 pm »
This is the welder I got from Harbor Freight a couple years ago using it as flux core and have been happy with it.  Would not build a chassis with it as is, but I am fine with it for bumper tabs, misc. projects, etc.  Might convert to gas one of these days.  I used a big stick welder for years before that and it was great for heavier steel but a pain to weld thinner metal.  Stick welders also take a lot of practice to get halfway good with.  My street stock lost a lot of front bumpers while I was trying to figure it out.  A tool cart will not be life threatening (hopefully  :)), so might be a good project to work on your welding.  Never hurt to know how to melt pieces of metal together. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/230-volt-160-amp-mig-and-flux-welder-93793.html

anything