Author Topic: questions  (Read 19548 times)

Hoopyboy

Re: questions
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 04:29:02 pm »
 Having a heck of a time getting on this site !!! (says can't connect most of the time)
I posted this on yahoo groups in the meanwhile... unable to get on here

Here goes again ... here is the parts link http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=7823&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1987&fveh=208
 On the end of the shift shaft, in the diagram straight above stopper screw #1 is the shift end of the shaft. there is a C shaped pivot on the "L" end of the shaft that I believe has failed. Easy to check by removing the clutch cover, clutch, shift arm block on the back of the engine, and pull the shift shaft. If he needs one, I have a used shift shaft. Sounds like something on the end of that assembly is bent or broke (tip... while removing the button on the center of the clutch, don't loose the ball from the end of the clutch shaft)

~ Gimpster ~

Hoopyboy

Re: questions
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
 Found that bottom end that had the issue simular to what he has. On the "C" shaped end facing down on the shift shaft there is a small spring. The spring returns the "C" back to center position to grab the next peg on the shift drum star wheel, during shifts. This spring was broke on this one and the centering tab pointing towards the starwheel pegs is missing so I see where it would not center after a shift or catch the shift peg on the star wheel to make it shift correct. This one has wear spots on the back side of the "C" where it was catching the peg to turn the drum into first gear. Most likely shifted into first gear real easy and was prolly slipping off the peg going into an upshift since the centering spring is broke. tip is worn like it was slipping off the peg to shift up through the gears, on this one. Hope all this riff raff and searching I did located the issue, sorry it had to happen to him if it is what is going on

~ Gimpy ~