Author Topic: Need help with timing!  (Read 18290 times)

Offline legendsracer95

Need help with timing!
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:44 pm »
i own a red box system and i help adjusting the timing  ???. If you guys could help it would be greatly appreciated !

Offline legendsracer95

Re: Need help with timing!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:04:46 pm »
i need to know how to adjust it also thank you!  ;D

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:35 pm »
As taken frm the INEX approved Digital Peformance Ignition Installation & User Guide:

Crank Trigger Installation:

Steps 1)-4) Assuming you have the timing rotor installed on crank with M10 x 25mm socket head cap screw torqued to 36 ft-lbs and you have 1/2" dia x 3/8" length spacers, M6x20mm socket head cap screws, and 1/4" ID flat washers (2 of each) used to retain crank trigger assembly  to engine case.
Step 5) Line up 40° mark on the plate with the split between the two engine case halves and lightly tighten the cap screws.

Ignition Timing:

The LED on the front of the  module is used to time the engine. 

1) Plug in four pin crank trigger connector into the mating harness connector.

2) Plug in the module and turn on ignition switch.

3) Rotate the crankshaft so the 1-4 mark on the rotor is at about the 2 0'clock position.  The LED on front of the module should be off.  Rotate the engine forward(counter-clockwise) until the LED jus turns on.  The mark on the rotor will line up with the vertical line on the plate when the pickup is properly turned.   If the marks don't meet, rotate the rotor mark back to the 2 o'clock  position and move the 1-4(right hand) pickup slightly.  Roll the engine forward and check again.

4) Follow the same procedure for timing the 2-3 pickup using the 203 mark on the rotor.

5) Disconnect the power. This completes the timing procedure. The timing is now set for a maximum(or  final) advance of 40° BTDC.  The timing can be changed by rotating the crank trigger until the desired final timing indicated by the scale on the plate lines up with teh split in the cases. 

I suggest you set your final timing at 36° BTDC to start.

Good luck! Mark ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline legendsracer95

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »
Mark you are awesome! okay so i zero'd up my cams, so how do i zero the crank shaft?? thank you thank you

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:41:41 am »
Not sure how to zero the crankshaft....one of our other experts will need to help you with that.  Also, forgot to mention to use pieces of thin cardboard, such as matchbox covers, for proper air gap between timing rotor and triggers.

Have fun! Mark 8)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline 01MRMTransAm

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:57:06 pm »
Hey guys, what he needs a little help with is finding TDC on the red box pickup. The book he has describes stock stuff. I have a black box, so have no experience to give him that one hint that'll help. I don't believe he has the magnet on the crankshaft yet either, so that might be of help, I'm not sure.

Allen,
You're gonna have to pull those cams back out, because you have to start with the crank and tdc, not the cams.

Offline legendsracer95

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:43:16 pm »
i forgot to mention justin that the head isnt even on the car lol.

Offline legendsracer95

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:52:02 pm »
or to cerify on the engine  :o

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 11:13:18 pm »
I can see where you are having problems...
Set the crank at TDC first....
Then you might want to put the head on the engine to get the rest sorted out.
 ;D
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justaoke

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 12:19:02 am »
legends57x-- I am putting in a new 1250 with blue plate and redbox from the old motor. Can I just install the blue plate and line up the timing mark with the split OR do I have to retime the pick-ups as yor instructions say?
Thanks !!!

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 10:44:27 am »
Install blue plate first and go thru the provided instructions and make sure to install matchbox thickness cardboard for air gap setting.  Sometimes they come out just fine and other times you may have to readjust triggers  :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline 01MRMTransAm

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 05:21:31 pm »
Lol yeah steve I don't believe the timing chain will quite get to the cams with the head off the motor lol  ;)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:47:08 pm »
Sorry! Was being silly; Not trying to be rude. Motorcycle engines are  a new thing to a lot of people. Kind of like importport stuff... They work the same (A piston driven engine is a piston driven engine), but I think the metric stuff scares some people away from doing the work on their own.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline 01MRMTransAm

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:12:58 am »
No you're fine Steve! I was being silly too, Allen is one of my buddies so I have to give him a little flak while I help him with what I can lol.  :)

And in the respect of these things being intimidating, I definitely understand that. It was very very new to me last year too.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 12:40:23 pm »
I guess I am still trying to figure out the question. He asked about the timing or the rad box ignition system; which the instructions have been  included.

Then it was determine the head was still off the engine, so is the true TDC trying to be found?

I guess it really doesn't matter since a piston stop is used to determine TDC with the head on or off. Finding TDC is the same on this engine as an other engine.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything