Author Topic: valve adjustments  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Vern Houseman

valve adjustments
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:48:33 pm »
when setting valves ,am I right turn cam till lob is 180 from shim and what are the heights measured in thousands or cm ?

Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: valve adjustments
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:05:57 pm »
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:08 am »
thanks thats what I needed
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Micke68

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:01 pm »
I read in the older thread that having the valves adjusted too tightly will cause a drop in power, but what is the effect of having the adjustments too loose? My intake valve lash is between .007-.008 on all of the valves, will this decrease power as well? I know that back in our bando days guys would set the valve lash tighter for longer tracks to gain top end power and wider for shorter tracks for low end power. Does this same methodology apply to the legends engine also?

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »
anything outside of the spec is going to cause you to lose power. however, given a choice, loose is better. if the valves are to tight, that means the valve is closing slower or not at all, which will produce less/no compression in that cylinder. If they are too loose, the valve will open slower, but at least it does close at some point. Valves should be adjusted within a few races of a rebuilt engine, and then every 6 or so races after that. For peak performance, you should also synchronize your carbs every time you make a valve adjustment.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer