Author Topic: concord , nc set up?  (Read 11374 times)

Offline wh2

• 2010 Summer Shootout - Outlaw division
concord , nc set up?
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:53:26 pm »
I am not sure of how to determine correct gear ratios needed for concord or charlotte summer shootout 2011? Please explain to me the gear chart  and how to utilize.

Thanks, Chase Heath/Wayne Heath (dad)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: concord , nc set up?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:44:07 am »
Welcome to LegendsRacer!

See if this helps to explain things a bit; Going to a larger front sprocket (clutch) increases top speed. Going to a larger rear sprocket (axle) increases acceleration.
13/63 seems to be the preferred gear for Charlotte.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline wh2

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:36:19 pm »
Thanks, that does sound simple.  So determining which gear is better, whats the best method?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:38:20 am »
To read the gear chart; The numbers across the top (12,13,14,15) are the number of teeth on the front sprocket (clutch). The numbers going down the left side of the chart are the number of teeth on the rear sprocket (axle). The numbers in the columns are the gear ratio of the  combined front and rear sprockets (or final gear ratio).
Example: 13/63 = 4.85.  If you were to change the rear sprocket one tooth up (64) you would see a slight increase in acceleration but a slight decrease in top end speed.
The 13/63 gearing combination for Charlotte are suggested gearing from some of our members who have raced there (as noted in a couple of old threads). This combination should give you a good starting point to experiment with. You may want to take a 62 and a 64 tooth rear sprocket with you to the track to tailor the gearing to your driving style or just to experiment with. I could dig out the formula and you could do a lot of math, Just easier to start with a known gear ratio.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline wh2

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:19:52 pm »
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Offline wh2

Re: Charlotte summershoot out
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:14:41 am »
I tried a 13/62. Did not hit rev limiter,  I tried 13/64. Started  hitting rev limiter about 3/4 down back stretch also on front stretch?  Is the right combination 13/63 ?  With car and driver. Total weight is 785,  I have 250 rs and 125 ls shocks. I am running apprx. 38/39 cross weigh. I am looking for better laps times, apprx 19.3. - 19.5 not fast enough, tire pressures apprx  17 LS / 19 RS?   Any suggestions?  Thanks.....

Offline redclay

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:50:26 pm »
It has been a few years since we ran a bando at shootout ... and my husband set up the car, not me!  We also did not have to run restrictor plate either.  But with the restrictor plate there are some tricks.  We had to use it a few other tracks.  Tire pressures are one, then there is some sort of alternate breather routing ... plus having your carb set for the track is important.  Also, driver starts are really important ... if he gets a bad start, it is hard to catch up with the restrictor plate.    Driver needs to be reving the motor with the brake on and on the bumper of the car in front and be ready to GO!

There are several folks who will set the car up for you for this track, for a reasonable fee.  Look on Legends nation for their ads.  Once you get it set up, you can maintain the car and tweak from there on your own.  There are some folks down there that are happy to help.  You just have to walk around and ask questions!   That will help you figure out who to use.  I don't think they are on this forum though.

Good luck!  We are thoroughly enjoying watching it from the stands and not participating in the chaos anymore!

Offline wh2

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 12:12:15 am »
We. Run in the outlaw division with no restrictor plate.

anything