Author Topic: switching LR and RR shocks....  (Read 5561 times)

Offline slack11

switching LR and RR shocks....
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:46:21 am »
I am new to this, and have been given advice, but wanted to see what some of you thought.
  We are running a 3/8" paved mostly flat oval, and I'm decent on the bottom, but I want to be able to run a lane above that, the trick to this track and probably mostly all small ovals, if I can run the high side, it'll be a big plus as most "hug" the bottom.

If I move a half lane up I get loose in a hurry, I have a 200 in the RR and a 185 in the LR. , running about 51 % cross right now.  Friends of mine who are in the late model world have told me to switch the rear two shocks and give it a try, the 185 in the RR and 200 in the LR. 

Anyone try something like this?  What kinda results did you get?

Thanks,

Offline Legends57x

Re: switching LR and RR shocks....
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 08:19:29 am »
I previously ran a super stock on a 1/4 mile asphalt track for three years prior to switching to legends and always ran the heavier spring on LR.  I am running a very similar spring package right now that you are right now and again have heavier spring on LR and am able to run high and low on most tracks.  Keep in mind that running the heavier spring on the RR does not allow the chassis to roll and apply weight as much to RR and thus less bite.  Remember to reset  your ride heights and rescale after switching your shocks.

Hope this helps! ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:33:00 am »
All the shocks are valved the same..is one weeker than another..maybe.  I will tell you that when I ran the BFGS cross was set in the high 49s lower 50. Now with the Feds.. 51 cross is going to be WAY tight.  I dropped the cross a few points like 48 ish.  even with the cross lower the car will get tight with the Feds..
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:26:44 pm »
Yes.... Switch the left and right springs. 185 RR and 200 LR. That should gain you more bite on the right rear tire; Which you want. Might have to adjust a little on cross or stagger. Don't know your set up so am just guessing. At worst, try it on a practice night... If it helps you, GREAT! If it hinders where you want the car to run, then you need to adjust accordingly.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 06:14:05 am »
The car has the 185 on the right now...to make the car tighter on power you would put a softer rr spring in.  Now thats just that one spring it is not that easy.  IF you go up on the right rr it will get looser.  Also big race car stuff and ideas from cars racing tires and full adjustable panhard bars etc do not work on these little cars.  I gave you the set up book from Kevin Yeatts, you can also go to kevscorner.com? and get a new one every year.  I, in the past, have set the car up with the books from poeple are pros with legends then put a turn in or out here or there to get the car to do what I wanted...

One other thing is even with the 185 in the rr you have to watch the tire rubbing the fender.  I have cut the fenders back, but you still have to at least 10 inches of fender at every point by the rules.  So you can only go so soft on the rr

I know you stated that the car gets to free at the top, how may laps was that.  I last race I ran that car was right on and that with the cross at like 47ish, but 15 laps in>>WOW pushed like a dump truck. So again with the Feds the will get bad tight IF it is right on at the start.keep that in mind
Dave