Author Topic: question about nomax race suit  (Read 8669 times)

Offline racerdad

question about nomax race suit
« on: April 26, 2011, 07:32:32 pm »
so i just got my daughters new suit. it is a single layer nomax ( she will have nomax under wear). it looks very thin but this is our first nomax suit. the suit is a custom suit by RJS. it has all the SFI rating badges on it. when i old it up i can see light through it.
is there some out there that has a single layer nomax suit that can tell me if they are all this thin. is nomax that much better than the other things they make suits out of that they do not need to be that thick?
thanks for all your help cody

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
Re: question about nomax race suit
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:41:45 pm »
With the suits you go by the rating.
If it's a sfi 32a that is the thiner one.
If the rating is a sfi 5 with the under ware she should be good to go.
Rob

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:43:03 pm »
A single layer of nomex is pretty thin. It is rated at around 3.2 A/I.  With the nomex undergarments, you should be similar to a 2 layer suit as far as the rating goes.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:54:27 am »
Nomex is an insulating layer and is not intended to be air tight so it will look like other fabrics.  Make sure that she never wears the single layer without the Nomex underwear, no matter how hot it gets during the summer.  3 seconds of protection is not much when you are talking about a single layer suit with nothing under it.   

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:03:06 pm »
Yes it is thin. My first suit was just a single layer and it was very light and thin. My current suit is a 2 layer suit and if I had to use the 1 layer I would for sure have some sfi rated under shirt/pants to go with it.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:07:59 pm »
Is this suit for a Bando or a Legend?  Don't skimp on a suit for a legend car.....there are some fires.  As for a Bando the fire danger is much less.  I have not seen a Bando on fire, if anyone has please share the details!
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline thunder938

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »

TTP                2nd degree burn
3.2A/1              6                 3.0 Sec.
3.2A/ 3            14               7.0 Sec.
3.2A/5            19                9.5 Sec.
3.2A/10          38              19.0 Sec.
3.2A/15          60             30.0 Sec.
3.2A/20         80             40.0 Sec

This is scary when people buy what is cheap..I too ran with  a cheap suit for a few years and that  was not smart.  In a legends the motor can go anytime and will be on fire.  Then add in the crashes and maybe getting trapped in the car for a few MINUTES a suit that will protect for 3. sec. is NOT the way to go.  A cheap suit is what 100-150 bucks and a good suit is 400 bucks..Heck i am sure you have thousands in the car ..trailer..parts...tow vehicle...come on...be safe
Dave

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:48 pm »
I will pass along from my personal experience; I would not let my kids race without at least a two layer suit, underwear and a baclava (head sock), fire proof socks and two layer gloves.

That was when the started out 8 years ago, they now wear quilted three layer suits and all of the undergarments.

They have each been in a fire in their car and that is when I went to the three layer suit. My youngest recieved second degree burns to his lower legs where the suit (thread) failed and fell apart. This burn happened while he was trying to get the car stopped after the engine failure and the flames and oil where a blow torch at the firewall/steering shaft hole.

Do not risk you daughters health on cheap, minimum safety equipment; I is your job to protect her.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:51:39 pm »
this suit is not for a legends car she still is racing her quarter midget and i have never seen a fire in a quarter midget.she will be running her 1 layer nomax and nomax under wear and that is way more than any one else uses in quarter midgets.
i think that it is great that all of you care this much about my daughters safety. that is one of the things that drew me to the legends cars. i have always had way more safety gear on my daughter in her quarter midget than every one else.
thanks cody

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »
That area you mentioned on the Legend, Randy, is poor manufacturing in my books !
~ Gimp ~

Mine are now sealed with  a tighter cover with no air gap around the shaft of the split in the cover. I also sealed my firewall to the drive shaft tunnel and sealed the hole a the left lower corner of the firewall.

Plus I moved my fire extinguisher nozzles all in the drivers compartment and upgraded to 10lb bottles; We are not going to risk fire injury again.

I will also say that I have upgrade to quilted three layer suits, one by OMP and the other is a Sparco. After doing a lot of research, I have learned the quilting of the suit compartmentalizes the suit and the ability to protect. Most of the time in a race car fire it is the hot air/steam (from sweat) that causes injury; not the flames itself.

Sorry, if I was overbearing, but I learned the hard way; do not go the cheap route when it comes to safety. I can say now that my kids are adults and make their own choices, the foundation I laid is still protecting the today.

It is really amazing how tragedy effects our view of safety, but it does bring things into clarity.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything