Author Topic: Getting her started after sitting all winter....  (Read 7270 times)

Offline slack11

Getting her started after sitting all winter....
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:26:46 pm »
Just thought I'd avoid any potential problems and ask....

Gonna start my legend after sitting all winter. First time doing this, bought the car right before the snow was in the air here.   Left the car with oil in it, and added STA-BIL to the gas and ran before letting sit.   I am gonna change the oil before starting again, and change to new fuel, but one of my questions is do I need to "prime" the oil system like has been talked about in some older posts, or can I just drain the old, add new and be ready to go. 

I searched some old posts and found the procedure for priming, but if there is already oil all in the system seems like this could be real messy to do..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am very green with these engines and cars.

Thanks.

Offline ethan54

Re: Getting her started after sitting all winter....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:52:11 pm »
After putting new oil in i just turn the battery on and turn the starter over for lets say 5 seconds at a time and let the oil circulate throughout the engine and into the oil cooler. I do this a few times but don't overdo it on the starter, don't want to burn it out..Then i'll fire it up, check the oil level and make sure there are no leaks or anything like that..
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:13:47 pm »
+1
Crank it over a few times after you change the oil before running it.
Also know the clutch masters tend to bleed down, so don't freak out when you have no clutch
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:36:13 pm »
thanks, good to know about the clutch, that would have been my next question on here......

I'll give it a go in the morning, our first practice here is Monday afternoon, suppose to be a balmy 47 degrees......

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:45:34 am »
The 1st start after that winter I remove the plugs, unplug the red box (my old car it has a red box), and then remove the left rear cam cover bolt (under the clutch master) and crank until oil comes out the cam cover bolt hole.  At the point the head and cams are primed.  put the bolt, plugs, and hook up the red box and start it.
Dave

anything