Author Topic: header smoke  (Read 21573 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
header smoke
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:24:22 pm »
Hi all, I fired the car up yesterday for the first time since probably October.  When it was running the headers began to smoke.  I had them off, not sure if that would have any affect.  I also noticed that there was some oil under the valve covers and above the headers.  Not sure if that was smoking.  Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: header smoke
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:49:41 pm »
Is the oil dripping from the valve cover onto the header?
Could just be some dirt and grease or oil that got onto the headers while you were rebuilding.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »
If you keep getting oil by #3 header just under valve cover u have a crack in the chain journal they tend to create a hairline crack some guys repair with jb weld best to alum weld it if you want i can send pics on repair

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:12:25 pm »
If you keep getting oil by #3 header just under valve cover u have a crack in the chain journal they tend to create a hairline crack some guys repair with jb weld best to alum weld it if you want i can send pics on repair
That would help, i'm not sure if thats it.  The greese and oil i noticed was at the front of the motor.  I still have a feeling that its got to be a result from sitting over the winter.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:08 am »
Clean everything off and run it. You'll find out. If you have access to dye, put a few drops in the oil and check with a black light.
I use A/C leak detection dye
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:13:30 pm »
just a thought.  I took them off over the winter and just went to take them off again and some of the nuts were a bit loose.  Could this be part of it? 

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »
If the smoke was coming off of the header, then it's likely dirt or grease/ oil on the header. If it was coming out of the header, then you may have something more serious.

Steve

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:22:31 pm »
If the smoke was coming off of the header, then it's likely dirt or grease/ oil on the header. If it was coming out of the header, then you may have something more serious.

Steve

Nope it was just off of the header.  Once the motor was fired there was nothing coming out of the muffler

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 01:32:27 pm »
Make sure you don't have any oil dripping onto the header. Otherwise, I think it is just dirt and oil/ grease from taking it off and putting it back on. Wouldn't stress too much.

Steve

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:25 pm »
Sounds like you spilled stuff on it, the only other times I have seen "smoke" was if it was not bolted tight to the motor or muffler was not tight and it leaked around the pipes.
Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline HMS57

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 03:36:28 pm »
apn mentioned that there maybe a crack in the cover near #3 header and that could be the norm because of the chain.
My question is, can the cover be welded before it may crack as a precaution ?
Thanks,
Dennis

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 08:21:31 am »
Hi Dennis,

This is a 6 year old thread. A few of the folks that were involved on the thread have not been active for awhile.

What apm motorsports said was:
"If you keep getting oil by #3 header, just under valve cover, u have a crack in the chain journal. they tend to create a hairline crack. some guys repair with jb weld best to alum weld it".
I added a bit of punctuation so that it create sentences. lol!

So what you are asking is: "Can the cover be welded before it may crack, as a precaution"?
I don't see why you couldn't. If the area is suspect; Why not try to strengthen it.

Steve

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 02:16:50 pm »
apn mentioned that there maybe a crack in the cover near #3 header and that could be the norm because of the chain.
My question is, can the cover be welded before it may crack as a precaution ?
Thanks,
Dennis

It is not the cover that cracks, it is the cylinder head. Yes, you can pre-weld to try and prevent cracking, but which side? Also short of doing a bunch of welding and covering the whole area, it will crack at the point next to the weld.

Randy - RPM