Author Topic: full containment seat?  (Read 27970 times)

Offline PHA281

Re: full containment seat?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 11:04:07 pm »

Other than the seat, make sure you have belts mounted correctly. You want the belts to go through the seat even or on a little bit of an upward angle from her shoulders. I am 5'11 so my belts go through the seat and over the top roll bar not the middle one. You want the belts to be aligned correctly. You want the belts to hold her back not down, if the belts are pulling down on her that is no good and could cause spine injuries. There is no way to 100% correctly mount belts in a Legends Car so we have to do the best we can.

Sorry to chime in here, but I think I should. I know I'm new, but I'm not new to racing or installing racing equipment. A shoulder harness under no circumstances should be anchored more than 1”- 4” below  shoulder heightMounting below this height can and will most likely cause additional spinal compression during an accident. You DO want it to hold you down. Not so much that it compresses you, but you sure don't want to be able to move up at all!

That is on almost every single set of harness instructions I've ever seen. I've mainly used GForce, and never had to test them, but this is what they recommend.

Are you not allowed to use backing plates? I will admit I'm not familiar with the material inside a Legends car, but I do know, GForce makes a 4" backing plate that you can bolt through and it give more mounting surface then just drilling a hole and throwing a bolt through it. Is this allowed for you?? I would think, adding these plates for "safety concerns"  wouldn't really be an issue..
There are only but three true sports in this world; Bull-Fighting, Mountain Climbing, and Auto Racing. The rest are merely games in which men play. ~ Earnest Hemingway I'm a Hillclimber, so I've got the Mountain Climbing and Auto Racing combined. Can't really figure out how to involve a bull yet..

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 11:19:13 pm »
Adam,

You have to understand the limited space in these cars. The question is not about mounting the belts.... It's about putting a rather tall guy in the car.
True... Belt mounting does come into play. But is pretty minor compared to getting the driver in the car in a comfortable position. I am fortunate enough that my full contaiment set up fits me.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline PHA281

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 09:26:01 am »
Yea I hear ya..

I admit, I should get a bit more time around them before I make comments.. Sorry :( lol

I'm going to try and make some races near me, to check things out a bit.. So far anyone I've asked has been helpful up until I tell them I want to modify it outside INEX rules. Then some act like I've committed treason..
There are only but three true sports in this world; Bull-Fighting, Mountain Climbing, and Auto Racing. The rest are merely games in which men play. ~ Earnest Hemingway I'm a Hillclimber, so I've got the Mountain Climbing and Auto Racing combined. Can't really figure out how to involve a bull yet..

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 07:58:22 pm »
You really want to catch hell...
Go to the FJ Owners site and tell them you have a legends car.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 08:56:33 pm »
...just let me know when you do so I can watch  ;D
Actually theres only a few rabid Legends haters there, most of the guys are pretty cool
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 09:52:10 pm »
LOL!    True.
Some good info on the fj/xj engines and maintenance.

To get back on subject... ;)
The tilt of the seat seems to be the major issue with taller folks.
Unfortunately, I don't have any words of wisdom that are of any help.

Steve

Offline PHA281

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 10:39:49 am »
What's the FJ site?

I'll go be cannon fodder lol..

anything