Author Topic: full containment seat?  (Read 28721 times)

Offline racerdad

full containment seat?
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:55:22 pm »
i am looking at seats for my daughters legends car  it is a 34 chevy coupe. i wont her in a full containment seat and was looking at the ultra shield VS halo seat and was wondering  if any one had used this seat and will it fit in her legends car? i would like to know the prose and cons so please tell me what you really think. if there are any other seats that people have used that are good seats but are not the one s that are a fortune  please let me know but it must be a full containment seat. thanks cody

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: full containment seat?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »
Read this thread:
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1580.0

Also some good stuff on the second page of this thread:
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1076.0

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:15:40 am »
The UltraSheild seat will work as well as the Kirkey seat. In all of our cars we have the Kirkey Lightweight Containment seats, the only thing is the way USLC mounts the seat is incorrect. We have spoke to Kirkey and other seat companies about this and the proper way to mount a seat is from the bottom of the seat and the back, NOT the sides like USLC has it.

You can mount the seat different ways, we made custom brackets that are welded to the floor crossmember, you only have to use two bolts to tighten the seat down and two through the back. The other way you can is make a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the seat and extends out with tabs to the original stock tabs welded to the chassis from USLC.

Other than the seat, make sure you have belts mounted correctly. You want the belts to go through the seat even or on a little bit of an upward angle from her shoulders. I am 5'11 so my belts go through the seat and over the top roll bar not the middle one. You want the belts to be aligned correctly. You want the belts to hold her back not down, if the belts are pulling down on her that is no good and could cause spine injuries. There is no way to 100% correctly mount belts in a Legends Car so we have to do the best we can.

Hope this helps,
Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:57:22 am »
I agree 100% with what Todd says.  I dont know what 600 Racing is thinking with the lower seat mounts they use.  I use a piece of 3/4" square tube and weld flange nuts in the ends and bolt that in the stock mounts then bolt the bottom of the seat to the tube.

I have the ultrashield full containment seat in a 34 coupe and love it.  I have used the same seta in my late mdoel modified and legend, its a good investment.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline slack11

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:07:58 am »
I was the one asking on the other thread about the kirkey 53 series full containment seat, I ended up gettting the Lightweight Kirkey full containment seat.  Trying to balance weight and safety....  I got mine from a friend out of his dirt late model, but I think that these seats are around 600 bucks from kirkey.  There are also a list of these in different sizes on ebay new, for around 600.  I have yet to mount mine in the car, waiting for it to warm up a little here (had -23 degrees yesterday morning......) any chance you have a picture of your brackets that you used to mount the kirkey seat?  I realize that this may be impossible to take a picture of if the seat is already mounted, but I figured I'd ask..

Thanks,
Nate

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:02 am »
since i'm new to legends i ordered a new seat.  I got the lajoie saturday night special.  The car hopefully already has the tabs for the seat since the previous driver also had a lajoie

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »
The Saturday Night Special is a good seat, one of the best for the price. Just make sure the mount for the older seat fits correctly. If it doesn't, make one that does. If you don't have the means to do so take the chassis and seat to your local speed shop and have them fabricate mounts. Safety is a big part plus it makes you more comfortable.

This is how I do it....

Hope this helps, Safety is one thing I am not afraid to share..

TOdd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline racerdad

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:27:16 pm »
thanks for every ones help on this does any one know of a place on the internet that i could go to to read up on mounting seats belts. you know some thing that simpson or some one that knows alot about belt placement . safety is very important to me this is my little girl in this car. thanks for every ones help cody

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:24:08 pm »
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »
Lajoie has recently developed a new seat to their lineup called the "Diamond” I just finished installing one in my sons Legend Car.  It fits him and the car well.  It has a reinforcement plate across the back that lines up with the seat mount tabs on the frame cross member.  The lower mounting points also have reinforcement plates.  Mounting was easy and secure.  The seat is also competitively priced.

For more info:  http://thejoieofseating.com/index.html

For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline slack11

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:53 pm »
Todd,
  Which series number seats do you use in your legends?  I put mine in tonight, it is a 17" kirkey lightweight containment seat and the bottom of the seat is up against the driveshaft tunnel and the door on the other side. The shoulder containment is also too wide. I checked the kirkey website, and allthough they look the same, some are narrower than others.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 09:37:53 pm »
Lajoie has recently developed a new seat to their lineup called the "Diamond” I just finished installing one in my sons Legend Car.  It fits him and the car well.  It has a reinforcement plate across the back that lines up with the seat mount tabs on the frame cross member.  The lower mounting points also have reinforcement plates.  Mounting was easy and secure.  The seat is also competitively priced.

For more info:  http://thejoieofseating.com/index.html

Did you have to make a bracket for the bottom?  I planned on bending a piece of steel and attaching it to the USLC brackets and attaching the steel to the seat

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:21:18 pm »
The Saturday Night Special is a good seat, one of the best for the price. Just make sure the mount for the older seat fits correctly. If it doesn't, make one that does. If you don't have the means to do so take the chassis and seat to your local speed shop and have them fabricate mounts. Safety is a big part plus it makes you more comfortable.

This is how I do it....

Hope this helps, Safety is one thing I am not afraid to share..

TOdd

I would also be interested in what model number seat you are using, I bought a seat last fall that would not fit so I'm looking to add a 17in 10 deg containment seat to the car this spring.
Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 05:54:17 pm »
Its that time now to pick up the seat. I currently use a 20deg but I am trying to get more leg room and go with a 10deg I am 6,3 will the 10 deg put my head too high in the car? Any other tall drivers using them?
Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 06:44:42 pm »
That might get you too high in the car.  I am 5' 10" and when I started tilting the seat up to try different angles, I put my helmet against the roll bar padding.  Try unbolting your old seat and tipping it up in the back with some wood block or something.  It will not be perfect but will give you an idea of how high you might end up with a 10 degree.