Author Topic: Battery box  (Read 7810 times)

Offline IraceLegends77

Battery box
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:50:37 pm »
I just noticed while changing the battery over to my new chassis that the battery box is smaller. My old one is a good half inch larger.  I heard that they where making the new cars with some different measurements but now it is confirmed. Can anyone tell me how large their battery box (inside diameter) is. I have to go buy a new battery now and that old one is one race old that I bought out in Missouri.

Scott

Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Battery box
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:16:17 pm »
anyone .........Bueller,Bueller.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:22:08 pm »
Scott put a square on the side of the batt box to see if they rolled the batt box frame in on both sides when they built it ?
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:34:48 pm »
6. BATTERY: Only a lead acid or gel cell battery ( 25lbs. min.) may be used. The approximate dimensions are 71/8” X 8 X 61/2”. A top post or side post battery may be used. Motorcycle batteries may not be used. The battery must remain in its stock location and securely mounted. The original stock battery bracket may not be altered in any way. A battery box, terminal coverings or rubber padding around rear end is also highly recommended. A battery shut-off switch is optional.

Battery box offset is is listed as 5 1/2" from the frame rail in the Appendix. No mention is made as to the physical size of the battery box dimensions.

Perhaps the extra room in the dimensions is for a battery box or padding around the battery. Padding could certainly cut down on some vibration of the battery.
Specific questions as to the rules should be made directly to INEX.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:30:48 am »
I will try that Vern. I did think about cutting it and making it a half inch bigger like my old one but then I thought that I would be altering the chassis. I was just seeing if anyone else had the side to side measurement because we have checked all three of are cars and all are different. I really don't know how that is possible but it is. Thanks

Scott

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:03:22 am »
I wouldnt worry about "altering the chassis".  Their are so many different size and shape battery boxes out there you will be fine.  I would modify it so your battery fits and just be done with it.  The main goal for them is just to make sure you arent using a small light weight battery.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »
I didnt mean to change it, just was asking to check it to see if it wasnt square..........
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:02:08 pm »
Read the rule I posted above. It says that battery size is "Approximately" 7 1/8 x 8 x 6 1/2. The battery box has to be offset 5 1/2" from the left side frame rail.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.