LEGENDS > Brakes

Bias Adjustment

(1/2) > >>

RickyBobby:
So my car has no bias adjuster at all.  One of the veteran drivers at my local track said it would help me to carry more speed into the corner if I could adjust the brakes.  What is involved in addidng a bias adjuster and where do I get one.  I dont see anything on 600 racings web site about them.

justfreaky:
 "A brake proportioning valve works by limiting the amount of of line pressure that passes through it. Typically, a proportioning valve is installed in the line which feeds the rear brakes. When the valve is fully open, there is no reduction in pressure flowing to the rear brakes. As the valve is adjusted, rear brake line pressure is reduced. This gives less braking ability to the rear brakes, and thus more braking force is available at the front brakes."

" A brake balance bar is a part which operates two master cylinders with one pedal. It mechanically regulates the amount of brake pedal stroke applied to each master cylinder. The pedal can apply force against an adjustable bar which inputs more force into one master cylinder than the other."

" Brake balance bars and brake proportioning valves both help to achieve proper front - to - rear brake balance for the car."

Quoted some quick passages from "Dwarf Car Technology" by Steve Smith. It's a good resource book, well worth the $24.95 price tag. There is a lot more info. I just posted the basic functions of each. Buy the book!

Hope that helps,

Steve

RickyBobby:
Does 600 sell them or am I going somewhere else?

Tom Cole:
I have one lever-type to control the amount of rear brake, and I have a seperate knob for each of the front brakes.

They are made by Wilwood.

I normally have the rear brakes at the lowest or second lowest pressure setting (least brake).  The lowest setting is something like 57% of full pressure.

The front are set approximately like this.  I open them to full, and then turn the LF down 5 turns and the RF down 6 turns.  So the RF has a little less brake than the LF.  I fine tune it from there based on feel.

You want to set it so the brakes help turn the car.

justfreaky:
 Because my car is Dwarf, and not Legends, I have the bias adjustment to my two master cylinders and a proportioning valve on the fronts. Though not installed yet, I'm going with the same approach as Tom suggests.
 If your budget doen't support new - Post on here for parts wanted, or check eBay. Bought mine on eBay for about 1/3 the price of new.
 Whichever way you decide, the benefits will be worth the investment. ;)

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version