Author Topic: Tire Spin  (Read 23665 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: Tire Spin
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 03:54:04 pm »
What calipers are you using and what are you planning on buying?  I would have the rotors turned. Also make sure the rotor is in the center of the brake shoe bracket, I have seen tweeked brackets be the cause many times, either of the brackets being off will cause excessive pad drag. i suggest 2" calipers as a replacement, replace both.  The master usually causes both to drag not just one. Hope this helps.

I'm using brembo front brakes, I was told not to get the brembo rotors turned because they don't like to be turned. 

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 07:19:32 pm »
Sorry, but BS... Unless you change brake pads on a VERY regular basis... Rotors should be turned enough to clean them up. Brembo's are no different than any other.
Turning the rotors should just take the grooves out of the rotor. More than that, then yes, the rotor may need to be replaced.

MHO,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 07:47:24 pm »
No rotor "likes" to be cut. The thinner it is, the faster it will warp.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 08:02:09 pm »
I have raced and built winning Legend Cars for 12 years. If you spin the rotor and it is warped, have it turned. These rotors need to spin true, end of story. i have raced rotors cut to the min. for weight and I have raced brand new rotors thick as can be. It made no difference in the braking, guarantee it. I have races every caliper you can buy, brake man is the best, BUT THEY ARE VERY EXPENSIVE! i now rebuild calipers using my own rebuild kit that i have put together, they are half the price and just as good as brakeman calipers. I do not suggest the 21/4 caliper sold by US Legends, sorry i am a dealer, its not a good product! Run good fluid, good bearings, good calipers, and MAKE sure NONE of the brackets are tweaked. These master cylinders are notorious for hanging up, make sure your is not. i promise you I have spent thousands on brake pads, calipers, lightening, honing and on and on, its not necessary! e-mail me and I will be happy to share my experience with anyone FREE of charge!

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 08:44:20 pm »
I have raced and built winning Legend Cars for 12 years. If you spin the rotor and it is warped, have it turned. These rotors need to spin true, end of story. i have raced rotors cut to the min. for weight and I have raced brand new rotors thick as can be. It made no difference in the braking, guarantee it. I have races every caliper you can buy, brake man is the best, BUT THEY ARE VERY EXPENSIVE! i now rebuild calipers using my own rebuild kit that i have put together, they are half the price and just as good as brakeman calipers. I do not suggest the 21/4 caliper sold by US Legends, sorry i am a dealer, its not a good product! Run good fluid, good bearings, good calipers, and MAKE sure NONE of the brackets are tweaked. These master cylinders are notorious for hanging up, make sure your is not. i promise you I have spent thousands on brake pads, calipers, lightening, honing and on and on, its not necessary! e-mail me and I will be happy to share my experience with anyone FREE of charge!

Sorry for all the questions i am brand new to legend racing, how do you check to see if the brackets are tweaked?  also how do you check to see if the master cylinder is hanging up?

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 11:20:22 pm »
I won't argue that any time you turn a rotor that it makes it thinner and perhaps more prone to warpage. True enough. I was just saying to "true it up".  If the rotor is that far gone that you would need to cut it paper thin; Then it needs replaced.

Calipers, like brake cylinders, need to be rebuilt every so often. They sometimes stick, or the pistons get worn. Nothing a rebuild kit and a light cylinder honing shouldn't fix. I've never had a master cylinder hang up. It could happen. They are not dis-similar to the calipers or wheel cylinders.

Dan, Your questions are just fine. Not only the newbies are looking for answers to the questions you are asking. As Dennis alludes to; light weight, most expensive, the latest trend, etc...does not necessarily make it better.

To check that the caliper is square to the rotor is a simple matter of using a square, laser, or tape measure. I don't think that your problem is as big as you think it is.  Granted, I think the wheel should spin more than 3/4 of a turn. While it is off season, it is a good time to rebuild your brake calipers and brake cylinders. Especially if it is an older car, or hasn't been done for awhile. Clean and repack the bearings; Or replace. Balance the wheels and tires. Regardless, the front wheels are not going to spin anything like your kart wheels did. Just the drag from the front brakes will cause the wheel to spin less.  I do think that there is a problem somewhere though if both front wheels are not spinning a similar amount.

Steve

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »
Thank you for everyones help.  I have been working on the brakes and am putting new calipers on and also will consider getting the rotors turned.  If that doesn't fix the problem i will probably work on the brake lines and change them out..

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »
Don't think the brake lines are going to be your problem unless they are too small.  ???

Steve

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 02:32:39 pm »
Thank you for everyones help.  I have been working on the brakes and am putting new calipers on and also will consider getting the rotors turned.  If that doesn't fix the problem i will probably work on the brake lines and change them out..

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Dan,
        I recommend re-reading my PM to you in direction on how to resolve your concern. I covered all of the elements given by others in one reply. If you follow those recommendations you issue(s) will be resolved.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »

Dan,
        I recommend re-reading my PM to you in direction on how to resolve your concern. I covered all of the elements given by others in one reply. If you follow those recommendations you issue(s) will be resolved.

Randy - RPM
[/quote]

I have been using your email as a guide.  I have already cleaned and greased the slides and that didn't do anything.  I figured i sound do the calipers next.  I did a test and they don't seem to be opening up like they should be so i figured i should start fresh and put new ones on.  

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »
well i am pretty sure that I have solved the problem.  I had a bad master cylinder.  When i pulled the caliper off I was getting a flow of brake fluid out of the lines.  In addition i am switching brake fluids to the wilwood stuff so i am in the process of totally cleaning out the system

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »
Vern said that Jim doesn't use brakes........................Sorry but it had to be said................. ;D

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 09:25:45 pm »
LMAO!!!! Jim had brakes?  ???
Of course Vern should likely have picked a better place to work on his finger nails.  ;D

Dan,

Of course you will get some fluid coming out of the caliper when the master cylinder is disconnected... It's down hill.

Steve

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 10:43:35 pm »
LMAO!!!! Jim had brakes?  ???
Of course Vern should likely have picked a better place to work on his finger nails.  ;D

Dan,

Of course you will get some fluid coming out of the caliper when the master cylinder is disconnected... It's down hill.

Steve

Right, i know i'll get a little, but when having the line off for an hour completely drains the resivour i figured i had a problem, in addition i had the line up so none should have come out

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 11:13:25 pm »
Actually, the master cylinder will drain to the level of the leak if the hose is up until the reservoir seek the same level. This is the way the master cylinder was designed which also allow you to gravity bleed the brakes.

If you new one doesn't drain like your old one, something is wrong.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything