LEGENDS > Engine Care & Tuning

Car starts but won't stay running without the choke pulled out...

(1/4) > >>

DARK AGE 53:
Here's what I've got.

The last time we ran the car was 4 weeks ago ( it was running great ), until today the car has always run fine. We have a race this weekend so I went out to the shop to get everything ready, started the car up to load it onto the trailer and it just won't stay running without the choke pulled 1/4 to 1/2 way out......even with the choke pulled it dies as soon as you give it the gas.

I've checked the,
Fuel pump.
Air cleaners.
Changed the fuel filter.
Drained the gas in the fuel cell and replaced it with gas I bought today.
Checked to see if carb joint screws were tight.
Checked Vacuum chamber covers to see if they were tight.
Changed spark plugs.

I think it's either a carb problem or a vacuum leak, anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks,
Al

Tom Cole:
What kind of fuel was in it?

DARK AGE 53:
Sunoco 94 high octane gas, I don't think it's the gas because I put in new gas today and it still won't idle.

qweedqwag:
Trust me when I tell you this.....you need to pull the carbs off and clean them, I  have had this happen three times only mine would sputter and pop then die. Take the bowls off and the tops off, get some carb cleaner and spray every passage you can see.  Take out the main jet , the pilot air jets and the idle jet clean them all, make sure you drain the float bowls first so you don't get fuel all over yourself when you take the float bowls off make sure you dont get cleaner on the diaphrams. Most important keep a fire extinguisher near your work area in case something stupid happens.. this is a great link if you dont have experience at this http://web.telia.com/~u14114695/Mikuni_BS36_carbs_function.htm  or you can mail them to me and I will clean them and dyno them if you pay the shipping......what a deal, no really I will glad to help.

Mike.

DARK AGE 53:

--- Quote from: qweedqwag on September 20, 2007, 07:08:18 pm ---or you can mail them to me and I will clean them and dyno them if you pay the shipping......what a deal, no really I will glad to help.

--- End quote ---

Mike,
Really, I might just take you up on that...what state do you live in?
Thanks for the info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version