Author Topic: GEAR INDICATOR  (Read 20508 times)

Offline linley racing

GEAR INDICATOR
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:19:16 am »
HOW DO THEY HOOK UP? I SEEN A UNIVISAL ONE ON EBAY JUST WAS WOUNDERING IF ANY ONE  HAS  TRIED ONE OR IF 600S 250.00 ONE IS THE ONLY ONE YOU CAN USE BUY THE WAY THE ONE ONE EBAY IS ONLY 5.00.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: GEAR INDACATOR
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:33:36 am »
The ones on eBay hook up to the stock dash on the newer bikes and will not work with FJ and XJ engines.
Check this thread: http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=765.0

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:27:52 pm »
The real ones from USLC is a bit costly, but it is very nice and is a must have.  I ran a year without and during yellows it was a pain in the a**, heck Imay have even restarted in the wrong gear once or twice.  Call a dealer or USLC and get the real thing, you will not know how you lived without it.
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »
The system that Gill makes is a cheap alternative. It's like the original system was. I have some notes and some diagrams somewhere around here from him. You can buy all the parts at your local electronics store. And, you don't have to be an electronic wizard to make one. It is a series of lights instead of a digital read out.

Steve

Offline linley racing

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:13:18 am »
THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD HELP AND INFO . I THINK I WILL BUY THE ONE US LEGENDS SELLS

Offline racer48j

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 11:44:20 pm »
Hi Steve, I would definitely love to see any info you might have on building your own gear indicator.  I am an electrician by trade and have thought about trying to make my own.  If someone has already worked out the kinks that would be great.  Hope you can find the info.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:46:33 am »
Hi Ted,

Read the thread I posted above. I found a couple of the pics but am having trouble locating the wiring diagram. I'll get ahold of Gill if I can't find it. All the parts to make it are readily available at Radio Shack or any electronics store. You will still have to buy the 6 pin piece that goes in the engine from USLC. Not a motorcycle dealer part.  :(
I'll send you an email tonight with what I have.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:08 pm »
Ted,

Email sent.

Steve

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:55:24 pm »
i guess buying the one from uslc is easier.  I did that and it installed in an hour (hopefully i did it right)

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline linley racing

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:02:42 am »
I THINK I HAVE A GEAR SHIFT INDACATOR THAT IS ONLY GOING TO COST ABOUT 110.00 I WILL POST HOW TO DO IT WHEN I GET IT PUT ON AND TESTED YOU STILL WILL HAVE TO BUY ONE PART FROM 600 IT IS THE PICE THAT GOES ON THE MOTOR I THINK 600 SAID IT WOULD BE 80.00 DOLLARS AND THE OTHER  IS ONLY 20.00 OR 25.00 SHIPPED .

Gimpster

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »
 I don't think it would be too tuff to modify the origional engine piece to read all gears.
I had drilled the one on my old Legends Car back in 2004 and soldered some contacts in place so I had a light that lit up when I was in 3rd and another light when in 4th gear. I had 3 lights on my dash.. the third being the origional neutral light so I know the part can be modified. I believe I took the contacts out of an old honda atv ignition switch

----- Gimpster -----

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »
You can buy all the parts for the lights, on/ off switch and fuse from Radio Shack pretty cheap. Mount it all to a scrap piece of aluminum. Cost, around $30.00 and a little time to solder it all up. I have a wiring diagram that Gil sent me. He was selling them for $75. The costly part is the 6 pin plate from USLC. Dan H. was working on making them. Not sure if he ever got it done. As Gimpster suggested, perhaps the original neutral plate can be modified.

Steve

Offline srxboy

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:25:24 pm »
Steve is there any way u could send me a parts list and the wiring diagram.

Offline DanH

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 09:31:09 am »
Just to update, did some testing on a machined indicator plate. A high temperature acrylic was used so that machining was possible, it worked ok until I raced in a final with a couple of stoppages. The engine temps were high which warped the plate slightly and caused a oil leak.

I bought a plate from 600 to compare to and the material was very different, more brittle but looks like it was withstand high temps much better. To produce something similar to what the Yamaha netural plate or 600 plate a injection mould would have to be made for the part to be produced. As of now I have stopped development on the part.

Dan

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 02:37:19 pm »
Steve is there any way u could send me a parts list and the wiring diagram.

Give me a few days and I will email that to you.

Steve

anything