Author Topic: Starter problems?  (Read 9033 times)

Offline Rcrguy24

Starter problems?
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:01:53 pm »
Hi guys,
I just bought my first legend a month or so ago and started it the other day for the first time.  It took it a while to start (cold day) and before i got it started a loud scraping sound (metal on metal) starting coming from the motor.  At first i got worried because it sounded like the pistons scrubbing the cylinder walls.  However it had oil and everything and i eventually did get it started and it was definately the starter causing the noise because once i got the motor started and let off the started switch the noise immediately stopped.  is this a sign the starter is going bad?  Also, the starter isn't "catching" the motor alot.  Like i have to press the starter switch several times before it actually turns the motor over.  Is this another sign the starter is on its way out?  Thanks in advance!
Joe

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Starter problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »
Never heard of that but it sure sounds like you have a starter that is about to go. I'm sure someone on here has had that problem before. Sorry I'm not more help.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »
Sounds like a starter problem to me also.
Does it still make the sound when you try to start now?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:33:50 pm »
If its is a older 1200 based motor the starter drive in the cases sometime when cold and the oil is thick will not engage, started will just spin.  IF this is the problem is does happen to alot of motors.  If a newer 1250 or has had the starter drive springs redone then you may have other problems
Dave

Offline Rcrguy24

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:09:41 pm »
Thanks for all the responses guys your a big help!  But yes it still does it now after all this happened i waited a day and tried to start it again and it was still making a really loud noise.  The engine(1250 sealed) was just rebuilt 2 races ago but i guess that doesn't have much to do with the starter.  somebody said there is a chain on the starter that this could be coming from?  Its not to hard to replace these starters is it?
thanks again!

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:13:04 pm »
starter very easy to change , I would change it before you make more of it then it might be . good luck
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:15 pm »
The starters seem to be a rather weak link with these engines. Randy posted this in another thread:

The starter chain does strech and needs periodic replacement along with the chain guide; which I have both in stock. The starter slippage is caused by the old one-way starter clutch in the FJ's. The new style uses as one-way sprag which is far superior that the old 3 roller/spring combination. The older style with the heavier  and/or synthetic oils we use are the biggest part of the problem. That is why the problem shows up mostly when it is cold.

The old style unit needs to be disassembled and the springs needs to be stretched. These springs are a little bigger than a ball point pen spring and get weak from the heat. The springs are not a replacement part. I have been stretching the springs on the older unit for years and that has eliminated the starter issues. Or you can replace it to a newer XJ style starter drive unit, the eliminating the problem forever.

Randy - RPM

Perhaps the newer unit may be the best replacement.

Steve

Offline thunder938

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:08:41 am »
Starters r not hard to change...the starter drive or starter chain...you have to split the cases..:(
Dave

Offline Rcrguy24

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:10:25 pm »
That definately helps alot i do think i may have that problem with the older style starter.  I think first off i'll replace the starter and take a look at everything while in in there and see if a new starter helps or not so i know which direction i can go.  Where could i find pricing on a whole new starter unit?  and thunder what do you mean by "you have to split the cases"? thanks!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 03:17:02 pm »
Jim at VMS Motorsports sells new starters for $99.95.

Splitting the cases refers to taking the engine apart. Something you can't do with a sealed engine.

Steve

Offline thunder938

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 03:19:39 pm »
The starter is not hard to replace a few bolts and about 10 minutes.  If the starter drive or the starter chain is a problem then to fix you have to split the case...which means a COMPLETE tear down or the motor and the 2 case 1/2 pulled apart.  at that point the motor should just be freshened up.  But if you have a xj based or 1250 you should have the newer starter drive

and as Steve stated sealed motors have to be shipped to USLC/600 for interal work like that
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 05:20:40 pm »
Thats why we  replace the starter chain and drive on every rebuild we do, cheap insurance.
Thanks for the plug on the starters Steve  :)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Rcrguy24

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 06:48:07 pm »
Hey guys just for anybody's future reference just wanted to let ya'll know that the lound sound was the starter going bad.  not a bad fix compared to what it could of been! Thanks for the help!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 06:58:03 pm »
Thanks for the update!

Steve

anything