Author Topic: How You Doing 2011?  (Read 150207 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: How You Doing 2011?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 09:50:18 am »
I warned you it's a wreckfest down there. Glad you guys didn't get tangled up in it
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline ethan54

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 04:54:22 pm »
Yes, the tires showed some wear, not too bad. Ours duro'd between 65-70 before races. Now my RR is around 59 and all are low 60's. Similar set-up to last year but lowered the cross a few percent, you'll need it with these...Yea i'm glad we both came out of there with little to no damage. Dodging a wreck i had a car slam into the rear of my car...the bumper with the support bar was so strong it didn't break but pushed in the rear horns about a 1/2 inch.
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 10:56:53 am »
It was a fun track for me. I broke the bolt that holds the panhard bar to the rear end housing on my first laps on the track so no practice for me. I ended up replacing the panhard bar that had the RR pushed out at least 2 inches further than what I had in the car. The car was crab walking down the straights. Started last in the heat race. They threw the green flag right away so I was only just getting to turn 3 when the green came out. Made my way up to 2nd only to spin off turn 2 with a few laps to go. Didn't hit anything, learned my listen :)

Before the feature, I pulled the RR in a little bit, made some very slight air pressure adjustments and dialed the rear drums out to give me more rear brake. I started 10th and the first greeen flag run of 3 or 4 laps I took it real easy figuring a few guys would spin on a track this dry slick. After the restart I took off. Got up to 3rd pretty quick and basically followed Barth and the Iowa guy leading. I tried the bottom, middle, and top and they were running up top which is were most of the bite was. I've never had to use so much brake on a dirt track just to not run the guys over in front of me. The car really ran great on any line, the rr would dig and I had a lot of forward bite.

The tires were fun and the setup felt great. Can't wait until trying Beaver Dam this week.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »
DJ,

Sounds like you are going to be quick this season. Congratulations on the 3rd place finish! A very good start!!!
Looking forward to following your season.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »
Looks like I may actually be ready for the opener this weekend. Just have to mount the tires and set-it up.
Oh yeah, have to put the numbers on, but I need to decide on a new font first. Car looks too nice (at least I think so  ;D ) without the numbers. I had decided on a font, but it wouldnt look right now that the color and wrap are on. Back to the drawing board. Wish we didn't have to have numbers, scoring is all electronic anyway!  ;D ;D ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 03:20:29 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the new paint/wrap scheme!
 ;D

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:42 pm »
Ethan or DJ...was anyone running BFG's down there, or was everybody on the AR's?
Just wondering how they compared...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline ethan54

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 07:42:14 pm »
I believe there were 5 cars on BFGs. Jeremy Meyer #5 was the best finisher with them, 7th. 2 of the others wrecked on the dry slick track, the other 2 were Kevin Schutz and Kim Clover. I don't really think there is a comparison with them, but i guess its hard to say considering all the cars up front except for the #5 were on the ARs..They may run 10-15 in Beaver Dam except maybe on a rare occasion but other than that i wouldn't expect too much out of them (bfgs)
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »
Kim is Mikes step daughter, right?
Wonder ehy he wouldnt have her on AR's...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline ethan54

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 11:37:33 pm »
Yea shes his step daughter
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 11:55:54 pm »
Mike told me he wants her to get the feel of the car and get the hang of it first before he spends money on tires for her. He said it's just a learning year this year.

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »
Enuff of this dirt talk, we need more of the Asphalt guys to speak up!!!

So I went down to Tennessee to see my folks this past weekend and figured while I was there I would race.  So I went to Newport Motor Speedway and man is that place awsome......(for Asphalt guys)...
it's a 4/10 mile high banked oval with an absolutly prestine racing surface.  You can just fling your car around there.  With my wifes stopwatch she timed me avergaing 95mph per lap!!!!  Talk about exciting!
Unfortunatly I had a reoccuring problem with my rear exhaust cam cap bolts pulling out and wasen’t able to make the feature.
If any of ya’ll asphalt guys get a chance take your car down there!!!
Also, props to Walker Auto Body in Seymour, TN who welded my muffler tab back on for FREE after it randonly fell off the day before the race.
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2011, 02:28:22 pm »
LOL!!!
Yeah, we do have a lot of dirt track guys and gals here on the site.
Cool that you were able to get your exhaust tab welded back on! For free is even better!!!
I've been following your facebook page and website. Thanks for the updates!

Steve

Offline ethan54

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2011, 11:40:59 pm »
Didn't seem like much passing tonight in Beaver Dam. Track didn't widen out as i'd hoped. Ran the top as much as possible but just couldn't move forward much...ran 6th for a while until spinning with 6 to go, restarted last and finished 9th. Car is in one piece so we'll go after it again next week

Congrats to Grant on the win
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2011, 09:04:36 am »
Ditto on What Ethan said. I finished in a Ross Brothers Sandwich (8th), with DJ getting me on what turned out to be the last lap (caution on lap 19).
Definately have to work on my driving with the new tires and set-up. Car is better than I am, as usual.
Mostly in 1 piece, sans a right rear fender
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100