Author Topic: oil temp/pressure gauge  (Read 29215 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: oil temp/pressure gauge
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 01:38:00 pm »
I was wondering the same thing about the air scoop.  Who sells it or is it something that you just fab up your self?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline thunder938

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 04:51:43 pm »
You can by them, http://www.rpmproformance.com/legends.html. some run them all help to get more are to the cooler.  The biggest thing is to cool the back part of the motor/head.  Behind the cam cover area that covers the timming chain.  The back bart of th ehead and the jugs get NO air.  Thats is one reason that when they blow it is more times than not the #3 rod.  So that is why you see fans and ducts to the back of the head.  On my car I did not have a fan blowing down on the back 1/2 of the head, like alot of others.  But, I made and ran air duct that put air between the 2 rear plugs.  That made a BIG diff. in temp.  The head was the same temp across.

Dave

Gimpster

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 08:28:43 pm »
 I run no guages...only the neutral light. No fans on the cooler or anywhere else to keep from drawing hp by means of the stator. No duct between the header and cylinder or the heat deflector behind and under the carbs. The duct and deflector trap heat.
I do have some external duct work to direct cool air towards rear sections of the cylinder head while on the track

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »
I was wondering the same thing about the air scoop.  Who sells it or is it something that you just fab up your self?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

I don't know if you can beat the price. This is one our local racers, his son has since stopped racing to go to school but he is still making legends parts.

Randy - RPM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Legends-Race-Car-Air-Scoop-/380167731870?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item5883c33a9e

http://stores.ebay.com/Cre8iveDeals4U
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 08:53:26 pm »
Well i plan on running one fan on the back fire wall,  I just had a question about it.  Do you have the blower push the air towards the cylinders or do you have it pull away.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline thunder938

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 09:04:31 pm »
I also had a tube type fan on the fire wall that pushed air around the back of the jugs..I also had a fan on the 2 coolers...I never had a heat problem, but these things can never get too much air
Dave

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 10:22:30 pm »
I also had a tube type fan on the fire wall that pushed air around the back of the jugs..I also had a fan on the 2 coolers...I never had a heat problem, but these things can never get too much air

Thanks for the picture thats how i want my fan to be set up.  If anyone else has anyother ideas please share the info is great

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 06:17:51 am »
I've been thinking about the scoop for awhile now. I've seen the link that Randy posted and have it saved on my eBay account. ANYTHING that helps air flow with these air cooled engines couldn't hurt! I think that PUSHING the air is better than trying to pull it away. Don't think a 3" fan will pull it away fast enough.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:01 pm »
Thank you i figured to have it push, I'm still not sure if i'll purchase the air scoop for the front. 

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Gimpster

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 11:54:13 pm »
I've been thinking about the scoop for awhile now. I've seen the link that Randy posted and have it saved on my eBay account. ANYTHING that helps air flow with these air cooled engines couldn't hurt! I think that PUSHING the air is better than trying to pull it away. Don't think a 3" fan will pull it away fast enough.

Steve

I agree Steve

After next season I may have a new cooling system available. Have a few minor tests to do on the track

----- Gimpster -----

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2010, 11:17:12 am »
My car came with a NACA duct in the hood to direct air onto the top of the 3rd and 4th cylinders.  All of this has me thinking about ditching the fan on my cooler and using that juice to power a blower fan on the firewall.

Here is a link to a new setup that Hank Scott sells.  http://www.realracecars.com/RRCFanKit/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:12 am »
That's a pretty slick set up.
Thanks for the link John!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 06:05:27 pm »
Thanks for all the info on fans i got my fan today that i am going to use.  I also got my temp gauge.  I was wondering where everyone mounts the sender since it is a mechanical gauge.  If you mount it in the remote oil filter can you explain how?  I also saw in another thread about mounting it in one of the oil pan ports.  The only problem i see with this is that it will take machine work which is against the legends rules.  Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 07:21:27 pm »
i've got where i want to put the temp sensor, i am going to put it above the oil pan ports where that hex nut cover is.  I tried putting it in and ran into the problem that my fitting is to big.  Does anyone know of the size of the fitting that i should use?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

anything