Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 144760 times)

Gimpster

Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2011, 06:15:05 pm »
Hm, interesting. Maybe i'll stick with my BFG's to start out as well. Guess it all depends on the performance of the AR's. Just from the specs and what we know of this new tire will the BFG be able to run with it?

-asphalt allows no mixing of tires, has to be a set of 4 feds or bfgs, so i guess i would assume that it has to be a set of 4, but thats just my guess

I believe they will follow suit with the asphalt rule. At the same thread compound the only real advantage is stagger.  The tires will react different on dryslick per radial and bias from heat retained though

- Gimpster -

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2011, 06:34:21 pm »
The dwarf car guys ran the AR tires for years with good success. Most organizing bodies have been searching for a cheaper tire after the price increase
I think it doubtful that INEX will allow mixing the tires. About all we can do is wait until INEX formally announces the new tire rule.

Gimpster,

Pull the fenders and running boards off the coupe and run dwarfs. Most sanctioning bodies run engine size limits. Most are "stock" engines, but some allow fuel injection.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2011, 06:45:44 pm »
The dwarf car guys ran the AR tires for years with good success. Most organizing bodies have been searching for a cheaper tire after the price increase
I think it doubtful that INEX will allow mixing the tires. About all we can do is wait until INEX formally announces the new tire rule.

Gimpster,

Pull the fenders and running boards off the coupe and run dwarfs. Most sanctioning bodies run engine size limits. Most are "stock" engines, but some allow fuel injection.

Steve

I have some to add to that suggestion after supper Steve...You already know that Wanda deleted my Yahoo Groups accounts....

- Gimpster -

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2011, 06:47:20 pm »
We are getting way off topic with this. Send me an email or message me. lol!

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2011, 07:13:33 pm »
Steve... I had apologised for getting off the tire topic in that last post, but on this site when you quote someone you run out of text box to type in real fast.  With a keystroke it momentairly jumps to what you are typing. I went back to correct a typing error and deleted more than I wanted. LOL the apology part.

The tire topic set of a bunch of bad stuff for me on both sites. Now with the tire price and wrong compound Wanda pulled the plug on my racing Legends. I will fade away eventually. Hang around here a while and help with techno stuff every now and then. Keep my opinions to myself and move onto another division (Gimp hears the applause in the background as he leaves).
I will post my chassis in the for sale section in the next few days
Thanks everyone.... enjoy your new tire

- Gimpster -

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »
Gimpster,

I was talking about the dwarf car and "outlaw" Legends car stuff. Would love to banter this stuff back and forth with you; Just not on the forum.
I always appreciate your input!

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2011, 07:44:19 pm »
 Gotcha.. see what we can get going there my friend

On this tire topic I keep hitting dead ends when trying to research it and no leaks from sources at the mother ship.
My experience with these tires leads me to dig a little deeper. The 13" AR tires normally ran are 7.5" wide and have cheesy beads where a beedlock is almost needed on all corners. unless I am missing something, they claim to have an 8" wide tire. If they are adapting this tire I have some dumb questions starting with "Is American racer making this tire real special so the bead will stay on a steel wheel without a tube in it ?"
Dumb questions I normally can find out from my wide array of sources but the answers seem to be locked away this time. What is so special about this tire ? Are they afraid we will come up with another source to buy them or what ? Nobody is talking.. how are they marked for Inex etc...

- Gimp -

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:07 pm »
You guys realize that this new tire is only $10 more than the BFG.  If $40 is enough to sway your mind from getting a new set of tires I think you need to revisit your budget.  I am rather disappointed that the tire costs as much as it does, I really thought with the switch they would get a cheaper tire.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Gimpster

« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:43 pm »
You guys realize that this new tire is only $10 more than the BFG.  If $40 is enough to sway your mind from getting a new set of tires I think you need to revisit your budget.  I am rather disappointed that the tire costs as much as it does, I really thought with the switch they would get a cheaper tire.

Good point
You think since they are bias, the racers will go through more tires though than the BFG ? That is when it gets spendy

- G -

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2011, 09:20:53 pm »
Jeff,

I think that is the biggest thing... Most people were hoping for a bit cheaper tire. Also, I think a lot of them want to see how the tire performs and how long it lasts.

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2011, 09:27:48 pm »
 You hang around more dwarf guys Steve... how they been standing up in their division ? I went through my share in mini sprints

- Gimp -

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:16 pm »
You hang sround more dwarf guys Steve... how they been standing up in their division ? I went through my share in mini sprints

- Gimp -

Some sanctioning bodies still mandate them. Most news I have heard is that they hold up well. What some are trying to do is find a cheaper tire. Also, several are going back to stock engines and getting away from spending a ton on monster motors. As a lot of the newer bike engine are now fuel injected; they are allowing them, but with weight penalties.

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »
 Weight penalties... hmmm food for thought
Joe (FFmedic) almost fell over when I told him air pressures you could drop to with these tires to make them work, last night. Told him I would help him some with set-ups this year. Had to change my spring poundage thinking once I found out what he weighs compared to me.. lol

- Gimp -

Offline ethan54

« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2011, 01:57:02 am »
Price of this tire doesn't bother me, $10 more per tire really isnt much at all, and assuming they will last a full season it's really not that big of a deal. My thing is if i can run my BFGs for another year and compete against the AR's, why spend $400 that isnt needed? I already have my money aside for these tires and actually didnt even think the BFGs would be legal this year until i read some fellow racers that i compete against are planning to start out on the BFGs again

I still haven't decided whether i'll start the season with the ARs or not. If i decide not to and the BFGs cant compete with these then no question i'll be ordering them rather quick. If i had to decide right now i'm going to order these tires and test them out before the season starts. I'll always have the BFGs sitting in the corner waiting to be mounted up again, and pleanty of them.
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Gimpster

« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2011, 10:39:02 am »
 Just a heads up here.
 $440 is starting to sound cheap ? Look ahead (and back) for a minute. Looking back.. this is a bias ply tire and durability is at hand, like it or not. Looking ahead your tire bill will go up. Once everyone starts figuring out stagger you will need to have a few more tires expanded to different stagger as spares to adjust for changing track conditions to remain competetive.  That is only 2 extra tires if you get lucky and not ruin a tube from a bumper snagging a tubes valve stem, goes flat and cuts a sidewall before you get to the pits, snag someone's running board and cut a sidewall, guard rail and so on...
Your tire bill is now at least $660 and pending your luck maybe $1100 for the season ??  You might get lucky and not cut any tires down. Just think though.. if the tire doesn't last what the waste of having a hard compound was, when a softer compound would have promoted better racing and/or improved avoiding the fore mentioned tire ruining accident.
 Not meant to offend anyone... just sayin' they should have approved the 53 in this light of a chassis

- Gimpster -

anything