Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 144754 times)

Gimpster

Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »
 You will get a full season @ 3 to 4 nights a week of racing from a  50 durometer reading tire on these cars. Close on the 45 depending on the dirt consistency.

Anyone remember (I forget too) when eather Wissota or IMCA changed the tire rule to a hard compound in the Dirt Modified division ? Only took one year for them to loose all their drivers and tracks supporting them to the other division....
 Reflection of what is at hand here. When I was helping our dealer, letting drivers from other divisions drive legends cars they complained about the tires, saying they would never buy one if they had to run that tire.... boom... right there USLC lost a sale. In reality probably 3 sales as that driver's pitman would buy one as well as his brother.
 Honestly I wouldn't mind if they decided to lower the compound rule for a season or 2  just to see which direction Legends would go toward. They might even learn something out of the deal concerning what affect a racing tire would have on their precious asphalt series, using the dirt series as a test dummy.

By the way... I am all for starting another sanctioning body for Legends on dirt. Eather that or USLC should proposition me to head up their dirt division... new modified testing and all (just sayin')

Apology if anyone has gotten mad about any of my post content.... Just trying to open some eyes since the need for a dirt tire is here and choosing the right one the first time is now

~ Gimpster ~

Gimpster

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2011, 09:09:49 pm »
OK...This is my very first post.  Jim #17 will be happy now. 

I've been following this subject quite close and am not necessarily a happy camper either.  The dirt car I drive runs on a shoe string budget and this tire deal could go either way.  I hope like most others that we either the BFG's will be competitive or at least we only have to purchase one set of the American Racers to get thru an entire season.  If like the other gentleman says you have to buy more than 4 tires per year for changing track conditions or excessive tire wear, then I'm afraid the Legends dirt car division as we know it today will start loosing cars one by one and die a slow death.  I am hoping that this never happens.  I have a background of 22 years of Figure-8 racing prior to joining the Legends group 2 years ago and sure have had a lot of fun up to this point and I hope it doesn't change.  Only time will tell us all I guess.

Just my two cents! ;D

Welcome to the forum !!

~ G ~

igotmylegend

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2011, 09:53:23 pm »
I think most guys run the legends because its a form of racing they can afford and have a good time at it. Now i think if your were to run a IMCA mod you have a little bit of money, sponsors, Guys who know how to read tracks how to cut tires and on and on. I'm just trying to figure out how to drive this this and get a comfy setup under me, and now i need to figure out tires. Nope not me, I'm going to Madison.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2011, 11:38:30 pm »
OK...This is my very first post.  Jim #17 will be happy now. 

I've been following this subject quite close and am not necessarily a happy camper either.  The dirt car I drive runs on a shoe string budget and this tire deal could go either way.  I hope like most others that we either the BFG's will be competitive or at least we only have to purchase one set of the American Racers to get thru an entire season.  If like the other gentleman says you have to buy more than 4 tires per year for changing track conditions or excessive tire wear, then I'm afraid the Legends dirt car division as we know it today will start loosing cars one by one and die a slow death.  I am hoping that this never happens.  I have a background of 22 years of Figure-8 racing prior to joining the Legends group 2 years ago and sure have had a lot of fun up to this point and I hope it doesn't change.  Only time will tell us all I guess.

Just my two cents! ;D

About time you got your ass on here Mark!

Wheres the hood off that figure 8 car? I dont see it on my wall?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2011, 10:06:35 am »
Thanks Gimpster... and Jim, there's no need to swear...LOL.  I'm still working on that hood for you.

So, anyone have any idea when there will be some sort of official posting on the new tire rules?

Mark
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2011, 12:14:11 pm »
Probably in March
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Gimpster

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »
 You collect hoods ??

~ Gimpy ~

Offline JC38

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2011, 05:43:34 pm »
I  think in March sometime is when they are going to come out with the tire.
Justin Comer #38

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:25 pm »
You collect hoods ??

~ Gimpy ~

I sponsored Marks figure 8 car
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Gimpster

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2011, 12:16:08 am »
 Sponsor spiffs are cool. I helped Andee Beierle this season (Young lions dirt #2 national finish and the highest female finisher in INEX for 2010 season). At one point her car was totalled and I let her race mine to keep her points up. Her father (Scott) is a real good freind of mine. They sent us some sweet stuff for helping them out this season.
  Sad part is they will not be competing in Legends again. Those cars are sold.  The tire was one big strike against the series.  Andee has raced carts and mini sprints since she was young with good success. Not happy with Legends overall.
 Not sure what division they will be racing next year. One recent conversation I had with Scott was about practicing on a track that is nearly identical to the Chili Bowl. Scott is good friends with and a sponsor of Sammy Swindell.
 In a nutshell... if my health does not improve in the next few months, I'll abandon Legends also and help them out with what ever venture they decide.
So if you look around and see nobody... that would be me. Confirmed if USLC does not step up on this tire compound, eather way.

~ Gimpster ~ 

Offline LJ81

« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2011, 11:50:38 am »
I would love to see a 50 tire. Not saying the 57 would not work. Cause it's got to be better than the BFG. It a actual dirt tire. I dont think most racers would have a problem if they have to buy a extra tire every 8 to ten races for the RR if it wears. As long as it ain't every other race or so. I'm with Gimp getting to a 45-50 tire. But will end up rinning what ever they send us. You make it work or find something else. JMO
Lee Jordan
LJ Dezigns
Screen Printing, Embroidery, Decal Graphics, & Logo Design
803-329-8337
Check out the LJ Dezigns web for monthly specials!
www.ljdezigns.net

igotmylegend

« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2011, 03:50:34 pm »
My fault, I'm so use to running asphalt that i forgot that the only tire you really use is the RR.  Sorry if I p@#*ed anyone off.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »
Another concern I have is how much the tire size might vary from tire to tire with an actual race tire.  The street production tires were so close that I did not need to have a big collection of tires to give me stagger options.  If these tires have stagger that hits somewhere in wide range, we will have to have more on the trailer than with the BFG's.  I would love to be able to have a little stagger to work with at times, but do not want to have to buy a bunch of extras.  In the past with Hoosier E-mod tires, I would have to buy 3 or 4 tires to take the chance that once they were mounted and aired up, one of them would be the size I would need.  Not complaining about having a race tire, but we could have some unintended consequences with this new tire.     

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2011, 06:49:24 pm »
You guys worry too much. We don't have an option... we will use what they give us. Remember, we were almost stuck with that Federal tire. At least we have a real race tire, regardless of compound.
Give the boys at USLC your thoughts and concerns and they will do what they do. We just have to make the best of it.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2011, 09:14:52 pm »
Amen Jeff I was thinking the same thing,was waitting till someone would realize this is kinda a good thing...... if it happens .
Vernon Houseman #20

anything