Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 116658 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2011, 01:53:12 pm »
Tires are officially American Racers. I know nothing else other than the brand.
Darrell Krentz also said that you can run the  BFG's or Federals in 2011 on dirt.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2011, 11:45:04 pm »
 You know... if they have settled on the American Racer tire that the compound will be an MD-56 or MD-57.... If they stick us with the HD-65 then ya might as well not throw those old BFG's away.... The last 2 numbers in the tire compound is the durometer reading.
 I'm hoping they drop the allowed compound down to around an SD-35 to an SD-40

~ Gimp ~

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2011, 04:48:56 am »
Gimp, I would love to have 65 on the durometer. I know that my 5 year old BFG's are not that good. I really don't want a soft tire. I want something that will last for a couple of seasons at least.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline ethan54

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2011, 05:24:02 am »
As long as they last a full season i'll be happy. If they end up like the BFG's ill buy 4 this year and 2 new ones next year..
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2011, 08:26:59 am »
I agree on the harder tires.
If I want to buy tires every couple weeks, I'd be racing on asphalt for more money.
The tire evens the playing field.
I'll be on my BFG's
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JC38

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 11:29:57 am »
couldnt agree with you more there. the softer the tire the worse it will be. if they go with a 35 or a 40, my stuff is forsale. im not going to buy tires every 2 races. not worth it at all.  55 is the lowest they need to be.
Justin Comer #38

Offline JC38

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 01:48:47 pm »
i just heard from 600 that the compound that they have right now for the american racer tire is a 57.
Justin Comer #38

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 07:09:04 pm »
I just wish they would get them out so we could run them at the first of the year. It looks just like how they did the asphalt tire swap. FUBAR

Scott

Gimpster

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 07:29:10 pm »
 2 seasons on a set of 40 durometer American Racers on 3 corners of my sprint. Couldn't tell you how many on the right rears because I had 3 different tires to put on for various tracks and conditions.  Never wore out any of them out... one durometered at 25. Thing is... these cars are light and not hard on tire wear.
Amy mention of which tread pattern ??

~ G ~

Offline JC38

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2011, 09:23:03 pm »
I have heard that the pattern is just like the ones they had on the new 600 dirt car.  you might not of wore out your tires as much. but im sorry you go to soft on these cars every little guy and kid that climbs in to one is going to be fly and us bigger guys will be seeing there rear bumper alot more then you would if the tires are a harder compound. it evens the field out with alittle bit of a harder tire. just voicing my opinion.  If they go with the 57, i think it will be good!
Justin Comer #38

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2011, 09:24:17 pm »
Yep, soft tires are not what we need.  Give us a hard tire and let the drivers drive.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Gimpster

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2011, 12:53:43 am »
 I hope they make an official announcement soon.
Still time for us to move on and set up in another division for next season if the dice don't turn up our way. The wife and I are nothing special in Legends Cars or to USLC.
First they take away my compression on a couple 1200's I stuck a lot of time into and had to de-tune them. I suggested then that they need to make an 'open' division for Legends catering to those of us who have the resources and skills to run in an 'Outlaw' division for Legends on dirt. I believe it was during a topic on Yahoo Groups, Legends Cars, back in around 2003 or 2004. During this topic, fore mentioned, is where I brought up the tire situation for dirt. Everyone agreed on different compounds being available (softer) to use if they were to instate a racing tire for the dirt side of Legends. Reason was safety with the ability of retaining more car control with better bite.
 Well... here we are... Getting a real racing dirt tire for our cars... and just like I suspected... racers are going against what was earlier agreed on and want a HARDER compound !! ??? WTF is the reason for having a racing tire on a Legend Car if it is harder than the BFG we run now ?? So your car looks cool to the neighbors when it is setting in the driveway as you wash it and they see it has real race tires on it ?? Oh Boy..
Soon as they make the announcement of a harder compound... one sec......
Wanda (the wife) just read my post and found out about the tire compound deal. She pulled the plug on me racing Legends terming the topic bull*** again with Legends.
I'm out.. won't see us around message boards anymore for Legends

Thanks fellers

~ Gimpster ~   

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:50 am »
I understand both stance on this but I just don't want to buy tires every couple of races to keep up with the Jones's (sorry for any Jones's on here). If they want to put some car control in these how do you all feel about a steering quickener? I have never run one but it seems that most people you see spin get behind on their steering and around they go. I personally like the fact that these cars are a handful to drive because it separates the drivers from one another. I agree with Jim that if I have to replace tires all the time, I might as well go back to asphalt. Heck the track is closer but it is more fun on dirt and more input from the driver (sorry asphalt guys, but it the truth). I think that we could live a 57 and that would be good middle ground. Gimp that other list is mostly (and I said mostly)made up of asphalt guys who freak out if they got some dirt on there trailer. I know that we all bash USLC and sometimes deservingly but in the end it is some of the best racing out there for your dollar. I have seen spin off series try and make it and they usually bite the dirt (no pun intended). Have a good weekend and get your cars ready because race season is coming soon.

Scott

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2011, 07:55:30 am »
Wow Gimpster, sounds like legends cars arent for you, a sprint car sounds better suited for what you want to do.

Just to be clear I dont want a harder tire than the BFG, just not something much softer.  I think any lower than 50 and these cars will start sticking to good and the racing will suffer.  The tread pattern is what was hurting performance on the BFG so judging from what I saw of the new tire it looks like it will be a good unit.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2011, 12:12:30 pm »
Hi Gimpster,
I understand what you are saying about more car control making it safer, but I am not sure at what point the balance tips towards becoming more dangerous because of the increased speeds on the bigger tracks.  With the fact that I only race a few times a year, a sticky tire would help me get up to speed faster but I like the cars being hard to drive.  Even with the BFG's I remember seeing something about the legends cars running lap times close to the modifieds at Springfield, and when I tested my car on dirt the first time, even with mistakes I was running times with the sportsman cars here locally.  A legends car with a pull bar for the third link or a floating 4 link and soft tires would be fun to drive and we would have more control, but then it will tilt in favor of smaller drivers with the more horsepower, tire wear becomes an issue, stress on the drive train might go beyond what they can take, etc.  Also a significantly softer tire would force people on BFG's to either sit out, run in back, or buy all new tires to compete.  It's all just a big balancing act.  I like the idea of a tire that is a little softer than now but will not force out people who want to stay on the BFG's they have already.  Maybe the people on here, including me, are wrong about staying with a hard tire.  You have been doing this longer than I have.  Not trying to be disrespectful.  Just giving my opinion.