Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 116621 times)

Gimpster

Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 02:04:01 am »
 Run their operation a little better.... ahmen !
After all these topics of tires for dirt we have been grinding over for years and years, because we were unhappy with the BFG on dirt... they take out another chassis to test, decide to put on some dirt tires on a Legend to try on a dryslick red clay track. Hmmm.. hardly any wear so a bell goes off in their noggin to put legends on a dirt tire.... hmmmmm.
 Back up here a second Pedro !! Has anyone at USLC ever raced a dirt tire on a light chassis ?? For a full season ??  Highly unlikely.. none the less on brown dirt,  black dirt, river clay, grey clay, or red clay with the tracks prepped ?? Then all surfaces dry ??  Not just one test but a season full of tests on all surfaces and conditions ?  No !! They are testing a dirt tire on a dryslick red clay and expect all of us to be happy with their decision.... NOT. We will end up with the hardest compound out there and the wrong thread design.. the way they are shuffeling through this tire deal.  Best input they may have is if they take the time to thoroughly discuss these topics with the tire company and racers who HAVE raced them in light chassis on dirt.
 Not bragging but I prolly have more experience with dirt tires racing my Mini Sprint than they will gather up this winter testing.... If they are going to instate a dirt tire they need to leave the compound and thread rule open for a few years and let the racers test the tires. Besides.... they would prolly increase profit selling everyone tires in those few seasons and make us all happy.  Instead we will get a dirt tire that is hard as a moonrock because of the dryslick testing they are doing of tires
 Look at the big picture here. They do all this testing for tires (or should)... while testing the new "dirt chassis". The new dirt chassis flops like the thunder roadster... they stop support of Legends on dirt and make you change over to the new dirt chassis ?? Stick a fork in Legends on dirt... they're done. Who do they have of any dirt experience doing any of this testing ???  Anyone with a reputable dirt past in these things to give us the right stuff ?? We're talking testing being done in asphalt country thinking their dirt track is the same as all the others across the country for tire wear ??

I've said enough for now

~ Gimpster ~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 05:43:46 am »
As I stated before; I know everyone is frustrated with the whole tire issue. Discussion on tires and rules have been kicked around on forums for a long time. Lets all try to take these thoughts and arguements to the powers that make the rules. Unfortunately, I don't think they read our little forum. So, the thoughts and comments need to go to the "suits and ties" at INEX.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 07:08:12 am »
I do agree with Gimp on most of what he is lashing out at. They did know for a long time that the BFG's are gone and for a couple of years now they have been sending tires (federals) around the country and asking for input. The problem is they thought that everyone would like them and that would be that. Everyone that I talked to that did this teat hated them and thought that they were dangerous. Sooooo, they have known for sometime that a tire is needed but as Gimp stated they do a test of this new thing (modified) and through in a tire test for Legends and the tire works. Soooo now they need a tire that fits the rim (modified front tire was to wide) and while there at it they look a couple of different compounds. Now they settle on a compound and size and ask the manufacture to make the tire with there stamp on it and the manufacture says OK and they will be ready in five months. Now USLC is in a pickle because they told us that we will not be running BFG's next year and Federals don't work. So what do you do? You let everyone run BFG's until the new tire is ready and say you can run all year but know that if someone doesn't buy the new tire they will be a back marker. This is just my opinion of how things went down and I would bet my pay check that I'm to far off. Steve is correct that we need to make Darrel's New Year a little brighter with a lot of phone calls and emails. If have sent a few this week and plan on a phone call today. Have a Happy New Year everyone.

Scott #77
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline JC38

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2010, 08:34:05 am »
I agree with what some of you guys are saying. But how soft are you guys thinking you want the tires? Yes i would like them alittle bit softer then the BFG's, but not to much. i dont want them like a sprint car tire, hell im a big guy and thats my even playing ground with the lighter guys is the harder tire. Unless they want to take away the sealed motors and let you do whatever you want to them. Then ok lets go soft, but then again does everyone really want to buy a bunch of tires every year because they are using them up every 2 races. I DONT, i will go back to a modified or something if thats the case .  i can handle every 8 to 10 races buy 1 tire for the right rear, you want to make it were you have to buy some tires each year. Heck i know guys who are still racing with 4 and 5 year old tires and they wonder why there not going anywhere. This was one of the main reasons why i started racing a legend was that you didnt have to spend a fortune in tires, even though i didnt like the BFG's compound when i first started. i wouldnt mind seeing the new tires in the middle 50's range, anything under 55 is to soft for a legend with the motors we run! But has everyone listened to the new dirt car run? the thing sounds like its bogging down like crazy coming out of the corners because its biting so hard. 
Justin Comer #38

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2010, 11:52:03 am »
The softer the tire, the bigger advantage for the 1250.
The better the 1250 does, the more engines they sell, thus killing the 1200.
Take the time to think about it.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JC38

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2010, 12:16:43 pm »
Oh i understand completly there. they want everyone to have a sealed motor. but the softer tire the bigger guy you are, the more that motor is going to bogg down. i guess if they did that you would just have to try different gears then you normally run at certain tracks. i just think if they go too soft its not going to be a good move. but then again most of the things 600 does isnt the brightest move. 600 is always trying to pad there pockets someway or another.
Justin Comer #38

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 01:08:10 pm »
I agree on not going too soft on the tires.  When I had the modified, I was buying a new tire every race and still had no shot at the people who could afford a new set of soft compound tires each week.  I like being able to de-glaze 2 year old tires with a belt sander and have something that can compete.  The hard tire is what keeps cheated up motors from having a big advantage and gives us bigger drivers a chance against an 80 pound kid.  I am also concerned about the drivetrain if the tires are too soft.  Not sure how everything from the rear end to the crankshaft will handle a lot of extra grip.  A little softer would be OK, but I would still like to keep a hard compound tire.  Gimpster is right about testing needed on different tracks with different types of dirt before a final tire is chosen. 

I took a look at the website for American Racer tires and the only one that seems to be the right rim size and tread pattern that matches the pictures we have seen is the dirt midget tire.       

Offline JC38

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 01:42:09 pm »
well American racer could just go off the design they have for the modified tire. just make them alittle harder then what they have for the mods. 600 could get it done, but who knows if they will. we are always going to have issues with 600 until they get someone in there company that knows something about dirt racing and the things that could help are series out.  Hell if we could just get a good dirt tire and they stay with it,( hell get us a slick and let us groove them are selfs then). a quick change rearend and maybe a dual master cylinder, these cars would be a blast and you could try alot more different gear sets at the track. I hate changing the gears.
Justin Comer #38

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 06:53:11 pm »
First; USLC is not responsible for making the rules. That lies with INEX. I know that some of us do not seperate the two. But that is where all these thoughts need to go... INEX.

The dwarf car guys have used the American Racer tire with good success. I don't know what compound. I can do some asking around. Some of the groups are also trying to come up with a good workable tire for their series. I'll see what some of the proposals are.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:29 pm »
USLC and INEX are the same thing Steve, kind of Like GM owns Chevrolet
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2010, 07:56:18 am »
More like Bonnie and Clyde........... ;)

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2010, 09:51:09 am »
 ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2010, 08:36:18 pm »
Scott,

Kind of what I was thinking. lol!

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2010, 11:20:59 am »
Hahaha... they's gangsta !

Have a happy new year everyone.....

~ Gimpster ~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 09:29:59 am »
These are a few of the tire rules I found listed while doing a quick search of what the dwarf car folks are doing.

CDCRA -  Hoosier 8” wide maximum tread width, with 50 durometer minimum softness and/or Hoosier “Mediums” or “RC-3”. No softening compounds of any kind will      be allowed.

LSDCC - Street-type tires only. Must have treadwear number of 180 or higher with a tread patch width of 8" maximum, meaning a passenger car tire normally used on public streets and highways. Tire must also have (P) rated allowance. Tire must be of compound used for public highway driving. Tread may be grooved in any manner. Tire must not be altered in size. Tires may not be shaved or cambered. Tire rubber compound must not be altered to make softer. Tires must not show a durometer reading to be softer than 55 at any time. Tech Inspector durometer will be considered the official durometer to determine softness of compound. No special racing treads caps, or compounds. No McCreary, Hoosier, Hurst, Mickey Thompson or any other street tire with racing compound. No recaps. 205-60-13 is the widest tire allowed.

WSDCA - Hoosier Tires shall be the spec tire. Hoosier Mediums or RC3's.  No softening compounds will be allowed.

OKDCR - Hoosier Racing Tires soft, medium or hard. Goodyear G45 or G50. 40-durometer minimum before race for dirt. Grooving or siping of tread surface is permitted.

Steve