Author Topic: cut tires  (Read 5911 times)

Offline cm

cut tires
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:45:37 pm »
has anyone actualy tested cut tires versus uncut with the stop watch to see if there is any advantage to justify the extra cost.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: cut tires
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:01:12 pm »
Yes, there are people who have actually done testing on cut vs uncut tires. Do they justify the added cost? That depends on your application.
There are several discussions on cut tires in the old threads. Do a search for cut tires and read the threads. Then make up your own mind as to whether they are worth the added cost for you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline cm

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:08:21 am »
ok thanks steve

Offline 01MRMTransAm

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:21:51 am »
I think the cut is a bigger concern on a Federal tire than a BF Goodrich. The large, directional tread blocks of the Federal cause them to "chunk out" and wear more quickly on the asphalt.  Heck my cut tires even did that some. While the cut is partially a speed thing, sometimes we forget that it also helps the tire wear too (so long as it is not cut to the max).  Justin

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:22:41 am »
I have a question that might help out some of the people who bought Federals for dirt at the end of the season and now will need to buy the new dirt tires.  Has anyone tried cutting tires for use on asphalt that have a few races on dirt with the full tread?  If so, are they competitive, or just something to get the car on the track?  Might be a good way for people to offload Federals they do not need and save some money for people wanting to try asphalt.   

Offline cm

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:43:03 pm »
thats a pretty good idea i would like to know how it works

Offline 01MRMTransAm

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:51:01 pm »
I would think the only issue with cutting an already run tire wouldn't be the tread. The tire would have been heat cycled to an extent with the oils working out of the rubber, therefore making cutting it difficult or maybe even not possible. However, in the southeast where they frequently run races in the rain, there would probably be a good market for a nice set of uncut federals.

anything