Author Topic: Information on Dirt Nationals  (Read 109365 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Information on Dirt Nationals
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »
No, not in this post, just didn't want a repeat of the...
"If you want to be a dirt racer, the northeast is the place to be"...stuff again.

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1174.30

Back to the subject of the 2011 nationals that are 360 days away...Keep in mind INEX wont sanction Eldora, or any other track 1/2 mile or larger, otherwise I'm sure that would be number one on the list. Theres alot of great tracks out there, thats for sure.
If it were my world, they would move it up a few weeks, make it a double points night, and run it with the WoO Knoxville Nationals. That would be a Hell of a good time. We wouldnt be headliners, but that'd be fine with me.
100+ cars guaranteed.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2010, 09:45:42 pm »
I bet if Eldora was the only one to come up with the 30K to hold the nationals I bet Darrel would be happy to have them there. The just had the asphalt nationals at one of the fastest places that Legends run so again it comes down to Darrel and USLC not understanding a dang thing about dirt and how to run a dirt show.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2010, 10:19:33 pm »
I bet if Eldora was the only one to come up with the 30K to hold the nationals I bet Darrel would be happy to have them there. The just had the asphalt nationals at one of the fastest places that Legends run so again it comes down to Darrel and USLC not understanding a dang thing about dirt and how to run a dirt show.

Scott

I've been told the dollar number is quite a bit smaller than that, but I have no real idea
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2010, 06:08:27 am »
I herd the money exchange for the dirt nationals at springfield was 3 thousand dollars ?
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2010, 06:35:09 am »
Still trying to locate final results... But not having any luck.
You dirt guys really do get no respect!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2010, 06:40:04 am »
Tell me about it Stev I was just looking myself..................lol wow its like it didnt even happen this past week
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2010, 07:28:00 am »
Hopefully Darrel didnt hit the delete key for the feature results like he did for semi pro qualifying.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:07 am »
Tell me about it Stev I was just looking myself..................lol wow its like it didnt even happen this past week

Hey Vern...I got some inside information...I finished last, you finished second last
 ;D :D :) :( :-\ :-[ >:( :'(
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2010, 09:51:42 am »
Video from the Pit Grandstand is up for Semi Pro A Main up until the crash

http://vmsmotorsports.com/
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legend 12

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2010, 11:18:10 am »
just a thought;  if INEX and Z-MAX would have been thinking, take that miilion dollars , split it up and quit having a track owner/promotor try to come up with sponsors to pay for the nationals to be at their track. Inex could then have nationals at tracks which are sanctioned and have been supporting the legend racer thru the years. So there is no misunderstanding, INEX could run the show and let the track personnel concentrate on the surface rather than trying (at the last min) to  get the show rolling because people were standing there with their thunbs under their tail feathers. Tracks could be determined well in advance giving us all a chance to race different places as wel as giving some locals a chance to race at the nationals who otherwise may not be able to travel.  Am i making sense, whats you alls opinion? just a thought.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2010, 12:30:52 pm »
INEX and the tracks need to start setting out a clear schedule and document everyone's duties (local and INEX), then stick with them.  It seems like the tracks and INEX are butting heads every year during dirt nationals because of one common dirt track problem or another.  Promoters want to keep cars on the track to keep everyone in the stands happy, so downtime for qualifying timing issues is something that will get under their skin.  These what if's need to be figured out, or someone needs to be given power to make the call, needs to be decided before cars start showing up in the pits.

With the extra local classes last weekend, did it bring more people into the stands?  I know that they helped use up the track faster with the extra racing, but we need to keep thinking about getting people in the stands.  If they did bring in more fans, then it is probably worth the headache.  I do not want to see legends cars turn into club racing where the crews are the only people watching the races.     

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2010, 01:30:16 pm »
If USLC would have taken that money and spread it around the country I think that they would have gotten more for there money than a one shot deal. Sure they got Speed Channel to cover it but not sure they had blockbuster ratings. As for the track owner and USLC butting heads someone needs to be in charge and make the calls and my guess is that would be who ever has the money invested. There was absolutely no advertising and nothing was written in the paper except a small article on page 12c in the sports section. We called the local TV stations in Springfield to tell them about this “Nationals” going on and they said they had no idea anything like that was going on. The did send a reporter out but I don’t know what happened with that whole deal. I still think that the one that was held in Pennsylvania was the bet run a by far the best surface that I have ever run on. I’m not saying that because I live out here. It was because we were the only show and that made it nice (they did run an enduro race after all was done). I pulled 1150 miles and would do it again because I got to see my parents and family and friend that live near Springfield. I might see you next year if it is not to far and Jim I have gone the last four years and two in the Midwest and two on the east coast so I think it is even and in 2006 in was in Missouri also. Just saying.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2010, 02:01:56 pm »
The one shot Million dollar deal was a bad idea, I think we all agree on that, well, except the ones who got paid.

I have no problem moving Nationals around, I just think New York in the middle of October would be a little chilly, as would Wisconsin. I would have loved to go to Pennsylvania, we have family out there, but I sucked as a driver back then too  ;D  so I didnt make the trip. Just saying.

I think the majority of the 100 people in the stands were there for the Legends, but who knows?

There are alot of little things they could do that would make the experience alot better and bring in more cars no matter where it is. Most traveling series rent the facility for the night(s) and run the show, period. That would alleviate alot of the headaches in itself.

I still say make it a double points race and you'll double your car count wherever it ends up next year, if they bother with a Dirt Nationals at all. I didn't know what to expect with it being my first Nationals, I guess the Asphalt coverage had me thinking there would be alot of cars, but 60 just doesn't make a "National" anything, other than people drove a Hell of a long way from all over the "Nation" to run it.

When I called my son Saturday to let him know I was starting 11th, he was so excited I made the A Main, I didnt have the heart to tell him there were no "B"'s.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »
If the support classes were not able to bring more people than that into the stands, then I would agree that it should have been a legends only deal to preserve the track.  Making it a points race, and more money, would help get more cars to show up.  From the sound of it, the car count was way down for the asphalt nationals this year also.  The million race did get a little coverage for legends racing for a weekend, but it dropped back off the radar pretty quickly.  The only way to keep the momentum going from that publicity would be to do it every year, which I cannot imagine that they could or would do.  Not sure that the attention got them many new customers without it being a yearly race.  I give them credit for taking a chance.  Splitting the money between the nationals races would have gotten the more bang for the buck with the existing customer base.  The existing customers probably sell more people on moving to legends cars than all the commercials they run on Speed Channel.         

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2010, 02:54:25 pm »
I would guess that the 2 support classes brought in 20 cars total per night.

Don't know what the total turnout was for asphalt, but 102 cars started between the 4 A Mains, and there was a pro B main with 26 cars in it, with 4 transferring, so there were at least 122 cars that made the trip, not counting all the guys that wrecked or blew up in practice and the heats. I don't know how many there usually are on asphalt, but that would be nice car count to see on dirt.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

anything