Author Topic: professional racer  (Read 8105 times)

Offline rutter3r

professional racer
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:46:04 pm »
When I was helping out a friend at the big diamond nationals 2 yrs ago thee were 2 racers there that traveled around the country racing. My son just ask me if legend racers could be like the outlaw drivers. And you know I really am not sure. I know we can travel and race where ever there's a race. But if you did your research and planned your races proper do you th ink you could make a go of it. At least break even. I know you would have to finish up front a lot. But with 3 races on weekends and a show during the week is it poss. What you guys think?

Offline Vern Houseman

Re: professional racer
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:09:14 pm »
lol John lay off the beer . Racing a legend car there isnt no way you can break even........ lol
Vernon Houseman #20

Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:11:03 pm »
 There would have to be a series to follow and a sponsor for it's purses. Trying to make it off what the Legneds class pays to win would leave you broke broke broke as it is now

~ G ~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:18:19 pm »
Depends on where you live.
There's places that pay $100 to win, and theres places that pay $100 for 10th. Our series (Wisconsin Legends Racing Dirt Series) pays $250 to win, but we don't have alot of shows (20-24 per year). If you did some light traveling, you could hit 2-3 shows a week, then go South for the winter...and as long as your geographic stars line up, you're good, and you don't wreck, you can break even or maybe survive as long as you're living in your trailer.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:26:06 pm »
 Some boyz out there have been kicking around the idea of a midwest dirt series for Legends. I don't believe it will get off the ground though

~ G ~

Offline rutter3r

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:28:18 pm »
Ya know the more I think about this I think it would be cool to take a summer off and just go racing. If you had a nice bankroll to start with and hit big races and live at the min. You could prob go for awhile. And I wasn't even drinking tonight vern but I did have a long day at work today. I was just wondering. My son ask and while I was working I started thinking about it. He wants to drive the car next season when he turns 14. Maybe I should tell him to plan a season on the road. And see what he comes up with. He loves doing that on the road to knoxville game.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:28:34 pm »
It would be hard to make money on; But if you just wanted an extended racing vacation, you might head down south and out west for the winter months.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jmker60

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 08:42:28 am »
I may be one of the racers being referred to at the nationals held at Big Diamond in the original post. In 2008 my wife and I traveled and raced quite extensively throughout the year.  I had the opportunity to race at 23 different tracks covering all three venues (road, dirt & asphalt) in 11 different states.  We traveled the country as far north as Elko, MN for the asphalt nationals, east to PA for the dirt nationals and throughout the west and southwest due to our home at the time being in New Mexico.

I did this while working a full time job by taking extended weekends (using vacation days and a schedule that gave me alternating Fridays off) in addition to traditional vacation time.  It was expensive to say the least, some tracks I did well, some not, however even if I would have finished first at every track the payouts would not have covered the entire tab for any of the  trips!

Due to where I lived I had to travel a minimum of 200 miles one way to race.  My typical "local" track race weekend entailed about 700 miles of round trip travel to race at two different tracks over the weekend. I would travel 200 miles to race dirt on Friday evening, then travel 25o more miles to race asphalt  on Saturday evening and go another 225 miles on Sunday to get home.  I traveled close to 2000 miles on a 4 day weekend to race three different tracks in three different states (Colorado, Wyoming & Nebraska).

Long story short, you can't make any money racing all over the country with a Legends car, but you will have one hell of great time, meet a whole bunch of terrific people, make many friends and have tons of memories with associated stories to tell. It was well worth the time, the money and effort and I hope to be able to do it all over again soon!

Offline rutter3r

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:01:47 am »
You might be one of those guys. I really don't remember the names or cars anymore. I just remember I was still trying to decide if I really wanted to race legends. And hearing the stories those people told was really cool. I know you couldn't make any money at it but like you said. Just being able to do that would be awsome. Would be even better if you could do it with 1 or 2 other friends that race also. Well there we go. Something for us to dream about during our off season.

anything