Author Topic: engine wont start. any help please  (Read 6499 times)

Offline rutter3r

engine wont start. any help please
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »
I was a track this weekend. Went out for warmups car was good. Started car for my heat and pulled up to grid and shut it off. Went to start it to go on track and nothing. Got a push from a 4 wheeler and poped it. Ran my heat when I got back to my trl I shut it down and tryed to start again and all I heard was clicking. Checked my batt. Had 12 volts. Jumped my selonoid and nothing. Changed my starter and motor tryed to start but didn't crank fast enough so thought maybe it was a weak batt. Checked voltage at starter and had 12 also. Time for feature. Went to 4 wheeler again and he pushed me one lap around and car didn't fire. Got home and put new batt in car checked grounds and nothing. Am I missing something easy. Lost and don't know what to check next. Sorry so long

Offline Vern Houseman

Re: engine wont start. any help please
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:47:20 am »
John are you saying it is turnning over ? do you have a red box ign ?or dose it turn over and dosnt fire ?   Also if motor is turnning over check you are getting fuel, is the pump pumping ?take fuel line off at carbs and turn on. John you have my phone number Ill be home working on cars tonite give me a call Vern #20
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:14:43 am »
just because you have 12 volts does not mean your bat is good, it may have a bad cell and under a load will not have the power to crank fast.  These bat. take a beating and I have killed 2 in four years.  If every thing looks good and it runs, just cranks too slow I would replace the bat if it is even a year or two old, or put a load test on it.
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 07:24:18 am »
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline rutter3r

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:31:33 pm »
I think we may have found the problem. I am borrowing a starter tonight. I put a new one in already but I took that out and tried it on the bench straight from a new charged bat. And it didn't work every time I touched to positive lead to it. And when it did work it was real weak. Anyway I will find out tonight if its that easy

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »
Keep us up to date as this seems to be a fairly common problem with these engines.
Thanks,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:56:42 pm »
A few things to remember...

When tightening the battery cable onto the starter, use 2 10mm wrenches. The cable stud passes through the starter housing and is shielded by a porceline fixture to keep it and the brush assembly from grounding onto the housing. The stud also has a square head that holds the brush contact to the fixture omside the housing. If it spins, it can cause the brush plate to short. Use a backing wrench on the first nut under the cable while tightening the cable mounting nut to keep the stud assembly from spinning.

Also, the battery in these cars has way more cranking amps than the origional battery the starter was allowed to handle in the bike. Always allow at least twice as much time for the starter to cool than the starter was used to crank the engine. Constantly cranking on the starter will get it hot and prematurely eat away one of the brushes on the armeture contact. I have seen where this happens and causes too much of a voltage loss (draw) that it will not allow enough voltage to trigger the ignition system during cranking.

He said pushing it with the 4 wheeler would not fire the car so I think the issue lies elsewhere. Make sure that where the battery ground cable is attatched to the mounting bracket that it is making contact.  I have seen this issue you mention happen when the battery cable is placed onto the mounting strap first then double nutted. The correct way is to tighten the mounting bracket with one nut, install the battery cable over that nut then once again with 2 wrenches, hold the nut under the battery cable with one and tighten the (jam) nut on top of the battery cable end on the stud. this insures a good ground.

I will keep an eye on this post in case the issue is not resolved and case I need to apply farther diagnostic input

----- Gimpster -----

Offline rutter3r

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 08:05:55 am »
Well I changed that starter and that was my problem. Car fired right up. But I can't figure out why it didn't start when we tried to pop start it. That worked once for my heat. I think it should haveworked for the feature. What you think

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
if the starter you took out is good physically, let me know. One of my fellow racers owns an automotive- electric shop, and can easily repair these. i can get you in touch with him if you would like.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer