Author Topic: weekly starting point  (Read 14181 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: weekly starting point
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 07:17:20 pm »
All I can say is that last weekend I moved 1/8 turn down on the RR and 1/8 turn up on the LR and it took the car from tight in center to way loose off.  This was a 1/4 mile, flat, asphalt track.  Yea, 1/8 turn matters on asphalt.  Don't know about dirt!

Yes, that would make the car more free, assuming we mean the same thing when saying "up" or "down". If your shocks are mounted upside down or not could cause confusion in the terminology. I am assuming you took an 1/8 turn out of the LR and put an 1/8 turn in the right rear...? If you mean the opposite, it could still be loose off, causing a push-loose condition, where the car is still tight, but is loose on exit due to excessive steering correction input by the driver for the tight condition.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline B.E.I

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:01 pm »
http://www.centralpalegends.com

Try here.I am sure they can point you in the right direction.
Ed

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:29 pm »
I was wondering if there is a good starting point I could set my car at. I'm new to the legends this season. We go to the track and go ouit for warm ups. I make the adjustments I feel I need and go out for heat. Again make proper adjustments. Go to feature done.

When I get home I try to set car back to where I started.

If I just set car to ride heights everyweek would that be a good starting point. I don't have scales so as of now I'm not sure where I'm at.

Rutter,

I have highlighted two statements from your original post ask have to ask the obvious question to me; why?

If you set the car at home and adjust it during the night to make it better, why would you go home and re-set it back to where you started.  I mean, you start off in square one, you make adjustments and get to square 3 or 4 (when 10 is the goal) you go home and adjust the car back to square one.

You should go home and check the car to make sure it is still with the specifications of the rulebook and leave it alone. Make notes of your adjustments at the track and the results on the car when you return home, so if it gets banged up you have established the starting point for your driving style and personal preference to make your car the fastest it can be.

Just because I set-up someone’s car with a set-up that works for me, doesn't mean it will work for them. It is close, but adjustments have to be made for their driving style, once we get the car where they like it, I take all of the measurements, including scale numbers and give it to them so they have their preferred starting point.

You are making the adjustments to make the car better; it is not beneficial for you to take those adjustments out after every race.

If there are any specific questions I can answer for you please shoot me a PM.

Randy -RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Gimpster

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 12:01:33 am »
All I can say is that last weekend I moved 1/8 turn down on the RR and 1/8 turn up on the LR and it took the car from tight in center to way loose off.  This was a 1/4 mile, flat, asphalt track.  Yea, 1/8 turn matters on asphalt.  Don't know about dirt!

This is where the topic gets a little of the awkward variety......
We DO NOT utilize heavy asphalt spring rates on DIRT.  
 HEAVY spring rates used on asphalt, upsets the chassis ON OUR SURFACE (bumps and grooves maybe ?), and the body roll we try obtain cannot be met with heavy springs.
I honestly don't remember utilizing a heavy spring rate for an asphalt car on my Legend since around the year 2002
With a 325 lb spring, 1/8 th of a turn will make a big difference and with a 180 lb spring 1/8 of a turn will not make a BIG differnece.
SOOOOOO in my mind this adjustment part of the arguement is over. You can't compare a monster truck suspension spring rate to that of an Indy Car
 lol (no I am not giving up any dirt set-up spring rates... sorry)
I will tell you out of spite that I start the night out with 41 or 42 percent cross though

----- The Gimpster -----

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 08:00:39 am »
Wow Steve, you edited  out all the fun stuff!

Gimpster, hope you're feeling better...your typing seems to have some spunk to it, hope you feel the same!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 10:58:23 am »
 Haha, you guys were giving me that ole racing feeling back, there for a while !

~ Gimpster ~