Author Topic: qual. help  (Read 8263 times)

Offline 37ford28

qual. help
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:30:23 am »
im just starting out i have a buddy helping me we have a good car. now in 2 laps have a hard time gettin the car to build speed and grip.  any suggestions for qual? i race good but need to get up there for the starts.

I need a tenth...... "drive a little deeper,come off a little harder"

Offline John_Schwemler

Re: qual. help
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:39:29 pm »
Asphalt or Potato Field?
Go fast, turn left!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:42:23 pm »
Asphalt or Potato Field?

I think what he meant, was "Race Track or Means of Getting There"
 ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline B.E.I

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:47:44 pm »
Asphalt.
Ed

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:53:18 pm »
I'm going to ask the questions, because they haven't been asked yet...
Track size, banking, etc...? Usual track conditions at qualifying vs heats and feature? Set up info?
Other than not seeming to qualify well, what do you think are your issues?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29:44 pm »
What are your tire pressures going out for the main, and what are they coming in after?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 02:21:03 pm »
Racing and qualifying are two completely different deals. Qualifying takes a while to get the hang of. If you don't do it a lot, it will be difficult to be fast. i know guys that run up front all the time, but if they go to a track where you qual instead of heat race, they can't do it (and vise-versa) I love qualifying, but unfortunetly none of my local tracks do it. When I was in NC, most of them did qual.

Only real advise to you would be get the brakes warmed up while in the pits by dragging them as you drive to line up, and make sure you get the tires as clean as possible before going out on the track, and while coming to the green. and most importantly, don't over drive the car. That is what KILLS most people. They think they have to drive so much harder to get a good lap. if it doesn't work like that in a race, why would it in quals?

good luck!
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline 37ford28

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:25:27 am »
thanks man. didnt know if anyone had any advantages  on 2 laps. i am a tenth off from to runnin same lap times as leaders just need to make it up there.
I need a tenth...... "drive a little deeper,come off a little harder"

Offline John_Schwemler

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:24:18 am »
You might be able to do a cpl things...  one being optimizing your tire pressures for your run.  I haven't worked on a car all summer, but if I remember correctly, our pressures come up about 6lbs (someone can correct me) over a 20-25 lap feature.  I know w/ our late model programs that we increase the pressures before qualifying so we don't need to "build up" to the right pressure.  Our driver also rolls on the throttle a little heavier coming out of 2 and drives in a little harder into 3 to bring up the heat in the tires before taking the green on the front stretch.  With rolling into 3 harder I feel it must be mentioned to control how the car slides and where you can pick up the throttle so you still get a good exit and have a strong pull down the front straight.  During most of our events w/ the latemodel the car is impounded afterwards, so as for chassis changes and spring changes etc. I can't really comment.

Practice and take notes during a practice, do what feels the most comfortable.  And whoever said it earlier is right, relax and don't overdrive the car for qualifying. (or at least do what Jacques Villeneuve does, and go for broke AFTER you know your in the field)
Go fast, turn left!

Offline BillyJack87

• I got this!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 04:48:09 pm »
another trick you can try is backing up the corner....get off the gas earlier on entry so you can pick up the throttle sooner which can in-turn make the straightaway longer if done correctly. If your luckier than me you have someone with a stopwatch in the pitts so practice backing up the corner and see if your lap times get quicker. Just and old trick that a teacher with the nickname "Front Row Joe" taught me when my dad worked for him in his rookie year in the cup series
BillyJack