Author Topic: Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil 20W-50  (Read 15305 times)

Offline DARK AGE 53

Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil 20W-50
« on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:42 pm »
When I do my son's car this is what I'll be going with, what' your choice?

POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
Re: Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil 20W-50
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »
We're using Valvoline VR1 20w-50 racing oil.  From Advance Auto it was around $3 qt. with tax.
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 05:19:02 pm »
I use Royal Purple in 2 cars. I change after every three races. I even noticed a temperature drop of 25 degrees.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:13:41 am »
I'm going with the Mobile 1 synthetic oil.
Royal Purple makes similar claims of cooling and wet clutch performance, and sounds good.
Valvoline makes a good product also.
Which ever product you choose, make sure it is compatable with the wet clutches in our engines.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:53:40 pm »
I'm going with the Mobile 1 synthetic oil.
Royal Purple makes similar claims of cooling and wet clutch performance, and sounds good.
Valvoline makes a good product also.
Which ever product you choose, make sure it is compatable with the wet clutches in our engines.

Steve,
This is getting little confusing, Valvoline doesn't make a full synthetic oil that is compatable with the wet clutch system. I called Valvoline and talked to a tech, he said to be compatable with the wet clutch sytem the bottle of oil should have the intitals JASO on it. I've searched the net and I didn't find any Mobil One full synthetic motorcycle oil, any links? Royal Purple has full synthetic motorcycle oil @ $12 a bottle :o, I'm looking into Lucas Synthetic Motorcycle Oil...$40 for a 6pak but I need to find out what shipping would from the west coast to Michigan.

Al

Offline DARK AGE 53

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 06:49:16 am »
When I do my son's car this is what I'll be going with, what' your choice?

That's the site for Mobile 1.

Thought you were asking what others were running.  I still plan to run the Mobile 1. T48 is running Valvoline VR1. Maybe he has more insite on their products. I ran Valvoline oil in my mod, and run it in all my street vehicles. Never had any oil related problems.
 My main point was "which ever product you choose, make sure it is compatable with the wet clutches".
 Sorry if I confused anyone. I'm sure the debate on oil, whether synthetic or not, could go on forever. There are lots of good products out there, and many varied opinions on them.
 As for $12 oil;  predictions for this summer don't look good. Already paying $3.08 for regular gas here in Montana. The national news is predicting $4.00 + this summer. OUCH!!!

Steve

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 07:11:34 pm »
Steve, You didn't cause any confusion for me, in fact you were a big help in pointing out to make sure which ever oil I choose that it was compatable with the wet clutch system. Thanks. I have finally choosen the oil, ordered Lucas Synthetic Motorcycle Oil from the local NAPPA dearler. I have used several of the Lucas products and have been more then happy with everyone of them.

Quit your crying about high gas prices  ;D, it's $3.28 here  :'( ...I can remember gas @ $0.25 a gallon....those were the days. 8)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 09:19:57 pm »
 I sure miss those days  :'(   I could run my dirtbike and go kart for a day on that kind of dough.  ;D
Bought myself a moped just to run back and forth to work last year; hence the mini trike project ( I want more comfort. I'm not getting any younger. ) My wife spent $35 last week just to get to and from work. I spent $3. ;D
 I'm still pretty new to the bike engines; so I'm learning too.
 My Best to You!
 Steve

Offline gramps05

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 07:43:24 am »
We break in the motors with Kendall GT-1, high zinc content, then switch to Amsoil series 2000 sever service race oil.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 03:56:07 pm »
The debate continues:

A post on DCR
http://p206.ezboard.com/fdcrmessageboardfrm3.showMessage?topicID=2472.topic

Thought you all might enjoy the debate.

Alway a topic of controversy.

Steve

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 11:30:38 pm »
We here at Cherokee raicng use redline straight 50 weight seems to work , the big oil debate tages on.

Mike.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:35:24 pm »
Steve, You didn't cause any confusion for me, in fact you were a big help in pointing out to make sure which ever oil I choose that it was compatable with the wet clutch system. Thanks. I have finally choosen the oil, ordered Lucas Synthetic Motorcycle Oil from the local NAPPA dearler. I have used several of the Lucas products and have been more then happy with everyone of them.

Quit your crying about high gas prices  ;D, it's $3.28 here  :'( ...I can remember gas @ $0.25 a gallon....those were the days. 8)

My car's previous owner used Lucas oils.  His son had them as a sponsor for snowmobile racing, and managed to convince them to sponsor him in the legend as well.  It has worked out very well on this car, so I'll continue with it.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

anything