Author Topic: Experience with Federal Tires on Asphalt  (Read 27111 times)

Offline CP Motorsport UK

• Chris Pye Motorsport
Re: Experience with Federal Tires on Asphalt
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 11:20:43 am »
We had our second meeting on the new Feds on Sunday, won first 22 car race (built up a 1/2 lap lead before a caution with 3 laps to run  :'( ).  Also set my fastest time of day in this clear track run.  Car was on rails! 

Second heat of 20 cars I finished 3rd, but had to work hard on different lines.  The tires allowed me to change direction quicker and easier than the BFGs ever did.  However the tires overheated and were far too hot at end of race. 

In the feature I had a battle for about 15 laps where I had to hold the car tight (to allow an outside line for guy challenging for position).  Another driver was watching my car, and due to the movement of the car (to stop it going where it want to - the outside), he could see the tire movement and thinks that is reason for the rapid tire wear I'm suffering.  The car/me is ripping the tires and not wearing them.  Not sure how to stop this......anyone got any ideas?

Chris

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 10:57:25 am »
OK, I finally got me a set of Federals and was wondering on avergae what are the suspensions changes (or more directly) how big of suspension changes did ay'll need to make compared to what you ran on your BF's.  I am hearing you need to add alot more cross with the new tires?  Just lookin for ideas not rying to steal anyones setup (unles they want to give it up....).

Also, When you got the suspension figured out for one track with the new Fedrals were you able to translate that to other tracks easily (using what you know of your old race setup info).  I am trying to figure if I can practice primarily at one track to get everything dialed in and then somewhat easily transfer the amount of spring and wedge changes to the car for the other tracks and get somewhat close?

Let me know what you think,
Gerad
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline thunder938

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 11:13:12 am »
Once the tires came in they have WAY more bite / grip than the BFGs and you should needed to free the car up.  I had to drop my % of cross.  That is what most guys are doing. I run on pavement.
Dave

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 01:46:34 pm »
Dropping the cross.  Ok.  Do you drop it so that it is back to 48-50%?

I run pavement aswell.

Thanks,
Gerad
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

Offline thunder938

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 06:01:24 pm »
I had it at 49.6 and when I get my fat butt in it it dropped to about 49 flat.  I went 1/2 a turn on the left rear to free it up.  I have not scaled it to see where it is now
Dave

Offline trmiv

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 04:45:57 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions for tire pressures on asphalt with these tires?  The car we bought came with a bunch of setup sheets with pressures, but they are all for the previous tires.  When we got our tires cut, they recommended we start at 35 on the right, 25 on the LF and 20 on the LF.  Any other suggestions?

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 04:55:34 pm »
I was told 18 onthe Lefts and 28 on the rights.

Gerad
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

Offline thunder938

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 05:58:39 pm »
I run 18/ 28, but my car has been loose for 3 years, it would just lite up the tires I could never get it just the way I like it.  Then put on the new tires, that have more grip, and BAM the car is right ot I had to free it up.  Now with that being said I have heard guys running very high PSI to make up for the sidewall flex in the new tire.  This will mak the new tire ack more like the BFGs.  So, if you have good set up that you like with the BFGs then you may want to try plus 10 psi per wheel.
Dave

anything