Author Topic: help on my daughters new legend  (Read 18018 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: help on my daughters new legend
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:59 pm »
Safety wiring IS allowed. I think that safety wiring steering components and critical suspension componets is a good thing. (JMHO)
Contrary to popular belief, even the best job of safety wiring will contribute virtually nothing to the task of preventing a bolt from loosening to the point where effective levels of residule stress disappear. All that safety wire can do is limit the rotation of a bolt and prevent it's physical departure. Always pull and twist the wire in the direction that tightens the bolt.

I have not heard of any problems with the pedals. These cars are pretty safe, all things considered.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 01:07:26 am »
 Neded to safety wire bolts on our sprint but I use another method on key suspention bolts for the Legend that is better than safety wire. learned the lesson the hard way when bolts mysteriously came loose while we were atttending the pit meetings.
 One area I would like to see a rule is safety cables on bumpers for Legends Cars racing dirt with those weak freaking bumper tabs

~ Gimpster ~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 06:10:27 am »
Gimpster,

Safety cables on the bumpers would be a good idea.
You gonna share your ideas on safety wiring (or whatever you are doing) or just leave me hanging?  :)

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 01:51:07 am »
 Safety cables left a sour taste in my mouth after submitting the idea to USLC (600 racing then) back in 2005 after I took a loose rear bumper from a lapped car, through my windscreen. It went in one ear and out the other with them. Never heard back or even a thank you for thinking of safety email or call.  That is why I haven't gone through the humiliation of submitting my dirt nerf bar system to them. I'm a nobody to them. they just want my money for parts etc... Mike Patrick knew of my nerf bar system since around 2006. Emailed me about 2 months ago that I should submit the system to USLC but I still have that sour taste in my mouth.
 Safety ?? We would go through my chassis with a fine tooth comb after every race.. down to removing suspention bolts looking for stress etc...  last month and a half of 2005 and beginning of 2006 I fell out of 37 features because of  control arm mounting bolts disappearing from lolipops within a couple laps of a heat or a feature. Suspicious, we started posting someone at the trailer and or marking bolt heads with the lolipop using a sharpie marker and sure enough... come back from a pit meeting or a distraction before a feature and the bolt marks did not lign up anymore or were ready to fall out from someone loosening them. We went with longer bolts with nyloc nuts on the back side and that lasted for a few races then it started all over again. They must have realized they needed 2 wrenches to loosen the bolts. After losing the bolts with nylocs, we started welding nuts to the back side of the bolts... finished the season with no more issues. Musta pissed someone off 'cuz we could start anywhere in the field and wind up in the top 3 spots in a few laps, since 2002. Making our dealer aware of what was going on caused a lot of friction and made us the cast outs. I really am leary of giving out info we do and help Legends after all this crud went on, especially when the people doing it were ones we took under our wing in Legends to begin with and they turned on us, yet were friends to our face all the while ?? Here I set with a nerf bar system that works... what do I do ? Submit them to have them go in through one ear again and out the other at USLC ? Go out and compete again next season with racers who were doing stuff to our car that could have gotten us or someone else killed ??... I should just throw in the towel and say fawk it.  Anyone want tobuy a bubble coupe ?

~ Gimpster ~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 07:49:33 am »
Well, there is no reason that cables could not be attached to the bumpers. Not breaking any rules by doing so. Perhaps that would be a good use for those wheel teathers that were mandated a few years back then dropped. lol!

As for submitting your nerf bar ideas or resubmitting your thoughts on teathers for the bumpers... Just Do It!  Nothing humiliating in trying to make the sport safer.
It will take people giving their thoughts to INEX before any changes will ever take place. Then, it will take USLC time to figure out how they can make money off of it. LOL!

Steve

PS,
If I could afford your coupe right now, I would buy it and race up in Kalispell and Stateline Idaho. I'd even leave the Breast Cancer Awareness paint job on it!  ;)

igotmylegend

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 08:56:28 am »
If its for safty, i'm not asking . why give them a chance to say no.

Gimpster

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 12:32:12 pm »
I sound like an old scrooge but when the old topics of bad come up about past happenings in Legends I just can't quit lol.
If I do drag 'Pepto' out to the track this year, she'll have another paint scheme on her. Even if I have to buy a case of aliminum silver Duplicolor from WalMart and throw it at her.. lol. Reminds me.. I need to drain that old VP out of the fuel cell before it raises cain with the foam inside.

~ Gimpster ~

Well, there is no reason that cables could not be attached to the bumpers. Not breaking any rules by doing so. Perhaps that would be a good use for those wheel teathers that were mandated a few years back then dropped. lol!

As for submitting your nerf bar ideas or resubmitting your thoughts on teathers for the bumpers... Just Do It!  Nothing humiliating in trying to make the sport safer.
It will take people giving their thoughts to INEX before any changes will ever take place. Then, it will take USLC time to figure out how they can make money off of it. LOL!

Steve

PS,
If I could afford your coupe right now, I would buy it and race up in Kalispell and Stateline Idaho. I'd even leave the Breast Cancer Awareness paint job on it!  ;)