Author Topic: I Drove It!  (Read 9446 times)

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
I Drove It!
« on: September 01, 2007, 06:39:01 am »
I drove the car last night at the track!  That's the first time.  I had to check the spark plugs for jetting and the kid was with his girlfriend so I went to Friday test and tune by myself.

As a set-up guy, it really helps me to feel what is going on, although I don't reach the speeds, or the G's that the kid does.  One thing I noticed was how the car changes as it goes through the turn.  It was interesting to feel and I think I can get the setup better now that I've felt it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: I Drove It!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:44:52 am »
Yee Hah!!!
Way to go Tom!!!

So, how were those plugs?

;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 01:25:31 pm »
Just ever so slightly on the rich side.  It was to be a 30 lap race and I was thinking that going a touch rich would help keep the temps a little cooler.

But, we got rained out so it has been postponed til next weekend

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 04:12:31 am »
 One of my earliest lessons came from a friend I pit crewed for. Tossed me his helmet and said take it for a spin. Gave me a whole different perspective on things. Also got me started in racing.

Steve

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:43:01 am »
Tom, if we had known you would be behind the wheel last Friday, we would have brought the whole family out just to watch!  ;)  It's FUN, ain't it now?  ;D
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

jon8j

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:56:14 pm »
Tom:
I drove Phillip's car a few laps in practice earlier in the summer at Albany.  It's a wake up call ain't it?  Probably been 5 years since I've been in one; used to run a Sportsman car at Senoia.  I had forgot just how busy you are in one of the little buggers!  You're even steering it down the front straightaway.
Man, I always hate to give the kid too much credit ;) - but it makes me admire his "drive" a little more when he makes that high run down the back straight.
JB

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 05:05:35 am »
Will we see a 2 car team in the future?
 :P  ;D ;D ;D

Steve

jon8j

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:15:43 am »
Uh-oh!  I see that our Admin. did a little driving last weekend instead of Crew-Chiefin'...  Trey better watch his mirrors - Pops is gonna be getting the fever back!
JB

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 10:14:15 am »
Oh yeah, he drove it all right, and I'm going to tell on him to ya'll!  ;D ;D  He spun her out on the last lap of the heat race, making Tweety come in third instead of last on his first heat race, and thanks for that, Tom.  :D

Then he got the fever!  He wasn't going to adjust the car for himself,  he said "I'm not going to touch it, I'm just going to drive it like it is", but sure enough after the heat lap he got the fever and Mr. I'm not going to touch it started tweaking with the setup! *LMAO*  He ran some great laps - 15.51 I clocked myself, that's FAST on our track!

Congratulations, Tom!  You know I have to kid with you after the "Oh, it's SUPPOSED to do that" thing with me!!  ;D ;D
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 04:26:29 pm »
No worries of me running it very often.  The kid got his attention drawn elsewhere that night and the car was just going to sit there.  So I figured what the heck.

It is a lot more comfortable to drive than my kart, but I missed the feel I get in the turn with the kart.

I said I wasn't going to touch it, but it had a little push coming off and with the temps dropping into the night, I was scared it was going to get worse.  Hey, I'm a setup guy, what did you expect!  ;D So I put a round in the RR.  It still wasn't enough.  I'm going to get a little bit heavier spring for the RR, and I think it will come off the turn faster.

Sometimes you gotta drive it to figure out how to make it faster.  It helps with our communication as a team.

anything