Author Topic: changing oil  (Read 12307 times)

Offline reitter28

changing oil
« on: August 30, 2007, 08:58:27 am »
how often do u guys change oil and oil filter on these cars? once a week or every few weeks? and what oil do you use?

lancehooper.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: changing oil
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:47:50 pm »
Hi,
 I used to change the oil in my modified after each race night. It has been suggested in other threads, that every 2 - 3 races works well. Check out the threads in the Lubrication Section.
 Hope that helps

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:14:45 pm »
Hey Steve, we change out the oil in our car every time the engine blows.  Seems to work well for us. :D :D ::)
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:44:30 pm »
I use Royal Purple, Max-Cycle 20W50. I change it every 5 to 6 races with success. I use a K&N oil filter.

Geoff

EDavis

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:39:03 am »
Hey Steve, we change out the oil in our car every time the engine blows.  Seems to work well for us. :D :D ::)

I've been reading through all of the threads learning everything I can, I have to say, thats one of the funniest things I've read on here. Well done! :D

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:02:51 am »
 ;D  Well, to explain, EDavis, we blew up two engines before we ever got to a heat lap - the older one that came in the car, and the new rebuilt one.  So we had no time on the engines for a scheduled oil change.  I'm happy to say we have 4 races under our belt now with the newest engine running fine (knocking on wood), and we do change the oil after every 2 races.  ;)

Welcome to the board, by the way!
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 11:22:27 pm »
I change mine every 2-3 races, my friend changes his every race so I guess it's to each his own, I wouldn't go more than 4-5 races personally.

Good Luck.

Mike.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 01:55:32 pm »
My builder told me to use 25/ 50 Pennzoil Racing oil and I change it after 2 races.  We have an other driver in my group that has run this combo for about 8 years with NO engine fallures and he is a track camp.   Sounded good to me, so I picked up a motor from the same builder and talked to the builder on the phone for about 30 minutes. about oil.

Dave
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 02:52:26 am »
 8 years with no engine failures is a good track record. If that's what your engine builder suggest in his engines, I say Do It! After 30 minutes on the phone, I'll bet you were only scratching the surface of the "Great Oil Debate".
 Like many other questions in racing;  Ask 10 different racers, and you will get 10 different answers.

Cheers!

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 05:24:37 pm »
I go 2 nights on my oil using Amsoil synthetic 10-40 motorcyle oil. I was using Valvoline 10-40 racing oil and changing every night, but the oil smelled burnt after just one night. Switched to the Amsoil, and fell more than comfortable stretching it, even did a 3 night weekend with no change with no problems...oil temp was a bit cooler too.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Cweaver

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 12:21:42 am »
i change my oil every 2 races works great i have 40 races on one engine and its still runing strong

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 02:40:43 am »
Corey,
 What oil are you using?

Steve

Never mind! See your a Mobile 1 guy.
Should have read the other thread first.  :-[
40 races is Great!

anything