Author Topic: What motor cycle model & year do you cross reference with the 1250 motor?  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Okiesnake

What motor cycle model & year do you cross reference with the XJR1250 motor?
When I go to sites like http://www.babbittsonline.com to look up parts, It ask me "What Year" and What Model"
What year and Yamaha Model do I use?

Offline mch46

There is no motorcycle that runs a Yamaha "1250" !!!  The "1250" at 600 is really a Yamaha 1200 with a "drop in kit" (oversized jugs with larger pistons).  600 Racing (USLC) is the US distibutor for the Yamaha 1200.  The cases are the same, (except for the position of the serial ") carbs the same, everythings the same, except for the oversized pistons.  Yamaha does not make a 1250 engine.  All this info is according to discussion with Yamaha reps.

Offline IraceLegends77

They came in a FJ1200 in the early 80's. I had one back in 84 and it was really fast. Oh, there never was a 1250 that I know of, they are punched out 50cc to makethe 1250. Hope that helps.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Correction...The is no U.S. model Yamaha motorcycle with a "1250". It is still in production in other countries as seen here;

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/products/motorcycles/street/xjr1300.jsp

Yamaha is not making anything specific for USLC, they are just continuing to purchase the engines from Yamaha that are still used in production bikes.

I have a source to purchase 1250 or 1300 parts for the new engines if needed. Like it was stated most of the parts are interchangeable except for the newer castings of the cases, jugs & heads. There have also been upgrades to some parts over the years, but they are basically the same engine.

The FJ was sold here is the US until 1992, so if you are looking online for parts you can use any year from 86-92.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Okiesnake

Thanks everyone!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
You can also check with your local Yamaha dealer. If they are not to lazy, they will run the serial number for you and tell you what year.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
I had my local Yamaha Dealer run the numbers for both my old (blown) 1250 and my new (very used) 1200 and they said they called up Yamaha directly and neither of the two engine serial numbers came up as valid Yamaha engines?
Wasen't sure if they would not be in the motorcycle database if they were sent to 600 racing?

Gerad
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
I had my local Yamaha Dealer run the numbers for both my old (blown) 1250 and my new (very used) 1200 and they said they called up Yamaha directly and neither of the two engine serial numbers came up as valid Yamaha engines?
Wasen't sure if they would not be in the motorcycle database if they were sent to 600 racing?

Gerad

They won't be able to find them as they were never sold in the U.S. in a bike. They are sold to USLC, but the numbers are not referenced for the dealer to research.

The database the dealer uses is based on sold & registered vehicles in the U.S., so they will only be able to research old 1200's that were removed from bikes.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything