Author Topic: Moe Dang...  (Read 8572 times)

Gimpster

Moe Dang...
« on: May 10, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »
 Darrell is going to start testing Federals on dirt tomorrow down south.
Seems they will not let the idea of a seperate dirt tire from asphalt tire fly...
Guess what we're going to get stuck with ?? Sunday shoes on our ice skating rings.

----- Gimpster -----

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Moe Dang...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »
Will just have to see what the rules bring. Since I have not heard from anyone seriously running the tire on dirt, we will just have to hear the results.
Rules being rules; We Just Have To Deal With Them. I would be interested to see someone work on the grooving and see what results that brings. They do look like they might be a good pavement tire.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08:44 pm »
 Serious grooving.  A V- thread forces dirt naturally into the center of the tire causing lift. Flipping them around and it takes away from braking  in the same fassion.

Nobody runs them in any class around here on dirt at all

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »
Physics dictates that the "V" tread would throw water towards the outsides of the tire. As I do not race dirt, I do not know how this tire would work or react. Like I said; It will be interesting to see what results testing brings. It would also be interesting if the same folks tested some grooving too. I would like to see if they come up with any results that may help make this tire work on dirt. At this point, the BFG's look like they would be better suited to dirt because of their tread pattern.
Lets see if Darrell will give us an honest oppinion after testing.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:33:31 am »
 Sorry if my thinking was bass ackwards on the tire thread.  My cell phone was on fire last night from unhappy Legends dirt drivers

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:59:21 am »
I guess at least they are testing to see what they have.  There might be a contractual issue with Federal being the sole tire provider for the series that is playing into this.  Just wonder if a different tire that Federal already makes might be the answer.  Would love to have some nice sticky dirt tires, but that does not look like it will happen. 

Offline ethan54

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:52:50 pm »
^ I don't see why Federal couldn't make us our own dirt tire..
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

FFmedic

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 07:22:31 pm »
I do see problems with this tire on dirt.  I just hope they don't tell us to use them next yr.. and then after everyone has bought them and complained, change thier mind and make us to buy something different. >:( :( :'(

I'd rather pay more per tire to keep the BFG's then go to these Federals.

Gartner

Gimpster

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:24:20 am »
 Wonder if Knox has those 18 BFG's left ?

----- Gimpster -----

anything